Wet suit needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misplaced Priority

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm taking a cruise first week of April and am diving Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Do you think a wetsuit is needed? Where can I get water temps for those areas?

Thanks

I dove Cozumel last week, mostly in a skin for dermal protection. The water temp was a balmy 81F and actually warmer than the swimming pool at my LDS the prior week. It's personal preference as to thermal protection, but because there seemed to be quite a few stray jellies, I would highly recommend a skin at the very least.

I am much more tolerant of cold than most people, but I always wear a full wet suit for ocean diving.

I developed this habit in OW dive #4 for certification. I was issued a shorty. Our class entered the water from our "cattle boat" before most of the regular recreational divers entered the water. We gathered in a sandy area and then started to swim off with our instructor. Vis was not good, and I was focusing on the instructor's yellow fins. Suddenly some lunk from the already certified divers finished his descent extremely negative, crashing down straight on my back. He shoved me down just enough to scrape my knee on some coral. I don't think I hit it enough to damage the reef too much, but my knee burned for a month.

I wear a wet suit to protect myself from future lunks (although it has never happened again) and from any jelly fish, sea wasps, or anything else like that.

I got stung by Portuguese Man-o-War in Fiji. Darn thing nearly killed me. I had a reaction to the sting which caused some Muscle paralysis. Now (just like boulderjohn) I use a full suit every time for ocean dives, no matter how hot the water is. Most painful lesson I've ever learned. A 3/2 wetsuit would be perfect in 80 degree water. If you get hot, just scoop some water in at the front of your neck and that will chill you out a bit.

Ditto. I wear a 3mm jumpsuit in tropical water.....for the exact same reason. There are thinner suits out there as well.

Scuba Jerm:
I got stung by Portuguese Man-o-War in Fiji. Darn thing nearly killed me. I had a reaction to the sting which caused some Muscle paralysis. Now (just like boulderjohn) I use a full suit every time for ocean dives, no matter how hot the water is. Most painful lesson I've ever learned. A 3/2 wetsuit would be perfect in 80 degree water. If you get hot, just scoop some water in at the front of your neck and that will chill you out a bit.
That's why I hate shorties. Glad you're okay now....

Here is a link to the NOAA buoys in the area: here. 2 of them aren't reporting at present, but one is giving air and water both at 77-80. A long skin, 1 mil, or heavier, depending on tolerances and preferences.

FYI I'm in GCM now and the water temps are in the high 70s. (77, 78 usually), it's pretty windy too, you definately want some sort of suit. We've been wearing shorties and it isn't enough with repetitive diving. As others have suggested, a 3/2 full would probably cover all of your bases...
My 2 cents,
--alli

Ditto on wearing a full suit (skin, 1mil, 3mil) in warm waters. Not for thermal protection so much, but for protection from stings and bites. As for ocean water temps, I like to refer to this webpage. Enjoy Cozumel...Its awesome!!

http://www.oceanweather.com

click on the "Current Marine Data" tab. Here you can get ocean temps around the world, as well as wave heights and current directions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom