WET suit vs. SEMI DRY suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
was looking into a new suit and was wondering the diff between wet suits and semi dry suits.Pros and Cons??

IF anyone has experiance with both please give me your thoughts.
All opinions are appreciated

CAPX28:
was looking into a new suit and was wondering the diff between wet suits and semi dry suits.Pros and Cons??

IF anyone has experiance with both please give me your thoughts.
All opinions are appreciated
I am not sure, but I think a semi-dry has seals around the openings, like a dry suit. That way you get less water circulation.

A semi-dry has gaskets at the lower arms/wrists and legs to keep water circulation to a minimum. They tend to be warmer than a wetsuit of similar thickness, but you do get wet.

Yup. I've got one and it's nice, but it's still a wetsuit.

A semi-dry is a wetsuit.
Some drysuits are semi-dry :)

I have a Henderson 7mm Semi-dry. It is a lot warmer than an equivalent "wetsuit". In 60 degree F water, I dive it alone, and with a 5mm core warmer, down to 47 degrees F.

It does get wet, but the flushing seems to be limited to a single water entry. Which you should do, (make sure the water gets in) to make sure it doesn't squeeze you.

The Henderson suit has hyperstretch in a few strategic places to make it more flexible. Just don't order it custom...you'll get old waiting (10 months+).

And as mech said, say goodby to peeing in your wetsuit!

All the best, James

Semi-dry seal designs vary from simple rubber strips inside the arms and legs and around the neck to full blown drysuit type seals and in some cases even across the back dry suit style zippers.

In general a semi-dry can tolerate a looser fit than a wet suit and still be reasonably warm. The original idea behind the semi-dry was to make it easier to buy a workable suit off the rack or even on-line and to enable the company to make fewer stock sizes.

A great fitting semi-dry can be very warm and superior to a great fitting wet suit. But at the other extreme a badly fitting semi-dry will pump a lot of water past the seals and will be cold.

I have never had the guts to pee in a semi-dry and based on the amount of water that will pool in the legs above the seals after a dive, I never plan to pee in one either.

RichLockyer:
Yup. I've got one and it's nice, but it's still a wetsuit.

A semi-dry is a wetsuit.
Some drysuits are semi-dry :)
I've goa a BARE, and it's the warmest wetsuit I've worn, but it's no match for my (occasionally semi) dry suit. The real payoff for me is staying warm between dives on a cold day with the dry suit.

MgicTwnger:
I've goa a BARE, and it's the warmest wetsuit I've worn, but it's no match for my (occasionally semi) dry suit. The real payoff for me is staying warm between dives on a cold day with the dry suit.
Absolutely.
If the water is cooler than 75, I'm in my TLS350.
If it's warmer, I'm in my 3mil fullsuit.

I think you can have a semi-dri-wetsuit, and a semi-dry suit.

The semi-dry-wetsuit has really good seals on the wrists, neck and ankles.

A semi-dry suit, has a drysuit zip which is waterproof and bumps up the price as it is the same as a drysuit zip.

I recently bought my fist drysuit after 20 something years of diving, and would say get a good trilam drysuit, you will wonder what you did all those years messing around with wetsuits for.

I know drysuits are more expensive, but I figure the only reason that people dive wet in cold water is they dont HAVE a drysuit, rather they dont want a drysuit. They are three or four thimes as expensive than a wetsuit, but they last three or four times as long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom