• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Wet suits and dry suits

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Marie13, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Lorenzoid

Lorenzoid idling in neutral buoyancy Staff Member

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I know you were asking tbone, but I think the answer is yes. The fibers take up space. A suit is poofier because the fibers take up more volume. The more high-tech fibers are thin, or even hollow, and so take up less volume. There is better insulation because more volume is occupied by air and less volume is occupied by fiber.

2. tbone1004

tbone1004 Tech Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    it depends on how thick said poofy undergarment is. It will ultimately compress to something similar to the density of the felts but when it does that, it may not have the same insulating properties so will require more gas in the suit. Minimum bubble size is what is determined by the packing density of the undergarment. I.e. you have a lot of thick poofy stuff, if when compressed it is still thicker than the felts, then it will require more gas and will be warmer.

@Lorenzoid not exactly. A suit is poofier because the fibers are not woven/knit/locked into their place and have a high crimp value to make them spring out and are just stuffed into a shell no different than a pillow/comforter/sleeping bag They typically use the same fibers believe it or not. The felted type fabrics are woven/knit into place and then napped to form the felt. They are not allowed to move around

Lorenzoid likes this.
  3. Marie13

Marie13 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    My deep class was at the local quarry's deep hole this weekend. Temp was 46F at 80ft. I was in my new 5mm. Had 5mm hood, gloves, boots. I was toasty.

Kevo88 likes this.
  4. Kevo88

Kevo88 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I'd kill for that kind of cold tolerance lol.

Marie13 and Lorenzoid like this.
  5. Marie13

What's funny is that the gal instructor and I were in 5mm, and the two guys were in 7mm. Women are tougher! :rofl3:

I also have some extra bioprene. :D

Kevo88 likes this.
  6. Kevo88

Kevo88 Nassau Grouper

I'm convinced women's air lasts longer too!

I did the deep dive a couple weeks ago. Went down, saw the rickety pallet, lost sight of the rickety pallet as everyone else made it down, and was happy to head up to the safety stop afterwards lol. For all my complaining, I ended up having to go back down to try to find my buddy's lost weight pocket lol.

Marie13 likes this.
  7. Marie13

I'm something of an air hog at this point! :wink:

By "rickety pallet," I assume you mean the platform? Didn't seem rickety to me! At least the buoys were both back in place (one was missing recently), which made the PVC bars every 15 feet list sideways like they were drunken, or so I'm told. We did our safety stop on the bar under the south dock (there's one under the west dock, too), as we went on a tour of the wall after we came up out of the hole. I'm glad the black sulfur layer at 60ft, which turned the hole into a dark as night pit, wasn't there. Viz was about 10ft, but the sun was out so we had some light.

Kevo88 likes this.
  8. Kevo88

Kevo88 Nassau Grouper

Ok maybe rickety was a bit rough, but those newer aluminum platforms look awesome comparatively. I think our plan was to do something similar, but we had one guy lose a pocket and someone else got a little freaky and bolted, so we just went up the buoy line and did the ss there. The bright side was getting to practice with my dsmb and completing the ss on it since most of everyone else was bunched up butts to nuts @15' on the buoy.

9. Marie13

Someone got freaky and bolted from 80ft? Sheesh...

10. Kevo88

Kevo88 Nassau Grouper

I think it was more the bad viz than the depth that got to her.