Wet suits in living color and other colored gear--what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiggrr, I like the Dr Suess quote. I also checked out the web site you listed. Interesting stuff. I like the cold water dragon hood, but not in those colors. I called liquidfit today. Really nice lady. Her prices were about what I have seen for off the shelf(a little cheaper than some places). She said she would make it anyway I want with as much or as little color and whatever design I want. I don't think I want to look like a piece of fruit stripped gum, but I would be OK with a bumble bee look. I am thinking hi vis yellow strips down the arms and legs hi vis yellow chest and with black pant area.

I would add that when I was in Cabo, my favorite DM had neon yellow fins. Easy to see all the way down to 60 ft. (Now, of course, if everyone wears neon yellow fins...)

So, of course, I bought yellow fins. Ideally, I'd like to have bought one yellow and one blue (OK, I'll also accept pink) fin :D

"Did he adjust the straps or do some kicks without fins or what? That IS really confusing"

I wish I could answer your question. I was quite perplexed when the fellow removed his fins. It appeared almost ritualistic. All that I can say is that the fins were of course black and rather than being on his feet he had them on his arms. This why of this odd behavoir will likely remain unanswered because once back on the surface I could not identify who he was so that I might inquire as to his malfunction. I think that once we both realized we had not a clue as to who each other was, he took off with fins in arms and I went looking for my buddy but gave up. Where did all the color go? N

If you want bright colors, Have a suit made... Its not like you can't buy the materials.

I'm considering seat covers for my truck that are neoprene.
Black sides with a Grey (slate) center. The interior is shades of grey.

You should see the options available though. How about a sheet of Neoprene to make a suit out of with pin up girls all over it?

Why use this for seat covers...
I have a 2 year old... Open the doors and just bust out the garden hose to clean up with neoprene seat covers!

Hell my computers mouse pad is just a 9" by 8" peice blue neoprene! :)
Best pad I've ever owned.

You sould be able to put anything you want on the Neoprene... You can silk screen on it too if you really wanted to.

When I get around to buying a dive suit though... I want black... I'd go for a splotchy grey camo color but black works best for me. Black absorbs more heat when your close to the surface and if the water is cooler... I'll take all the added thermal gain I can get. ;-)

Thats just me though.

oops, I just added the colorful manufacturer info to the other thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126347&page=7

I'm sure people have mentioned about the color selection and how sharks react to it.
I've heard about it too. According to what I've heard, they're more sensitive to red, light colors comparing to other black and dull colors. Maybe, but I also think that if they are hugry, they will just find something to eat, seals and many other types of fish can be in dark/dull colors, apparently it doesn't help if the shark is looking for food.

As a guy, I don't know about you, I think black gives the guys a sense of being pro... maybe? :wink:
Frankly, I'm a bit surprise to see back home, even in California, most female divers are dressed in black. I also wondered why....

alo100:
oops, I just added the colorful manufacturer info to the other thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126347&page=7
Check it out.

I'm sure people have mentioned about the color selection and how sharks react to it.
I've heard about it too. According to what I've heard, they're more sensitive to red, light colors comparing to other black and dull colors. Maybe, but I also think that if they are hugry, they will just find something to eat, seals and many other types of fish can be in dark/dull colors, apparently it doesn't help if the shark is looking for food.

As a guy, I don't know about you, I think black gives the guys a sense of being pro... maybe? :wink:
Frankly, I'm a bit surprise to see back home, even in California, most female divers are dressed in black. I also wondered why....

My DM said that sometimes the brighter colors confuse sharks and other fish into seeing "flashes of light", which is why he wears all black. I'm not sure what information he has to back this up, but it makes me wish that I had bought the black. Does black sharpie wash off in salt water?:confused:

Either way, I'm currently sharkbait.

I've got the scuba pro yellow fins. Large grouper would swim around them if I was hovering. I found out after I started reading the boards that yellow is supposed to be 'yum-yum'.

SeaGurl:
I found out after I started reading the boards that yellow is supposed to be 'yum-yum'.

*Looks at Yellow BC shoulder straps* ...... oh s***!

SeaGurl:
I've got the scuba pro yellow fins. Large grouper would swim around them if I was hovering. I found out after I started reading the boards that yellow is supposed to be 'yum-yum'.

OMG. :11: That would explain why every time I'm in Belize diving, I'm usually face to face with some of the biggest (insert your own) groupers ever. I have a yellow snorkel, and rim around my mask (we're ignoring the yellow fins and yellow strips on my dive skin). Typical:11doh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom