Wetsuit considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snadea1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone i have been reading a lot here lately in order to learn as much as i can. i am in the process of getting certified now and cannot wait to be in open water. I have always loved being around the water and water sports.
I just ordered fins mask and snorkel, aeris open heal mako fins, oceanic ion 3 mask in ll black, and a basic dry snorkel. i got these as a package deal for under 100$ which i am quite happy about because of my budget.
I am from new york and would love to dive around here as well as when i go on vacation and for now am looking into getting a wet suit i can use up here, long island sound. i will probably also use it when i jet ski as well as diving however i want to pick one out with diving in mind.
I need boots and gloves for class and was going to get those now before i found this Neo Sport 5mm Neoprene Jumpsuit Men's Package What do you guys think? i was wondering if any one has suggestions on the type or brand or what not to look for. I know fit is very important with a wet suit.
Thanks in advanced and i cannot wait to become a more experienced diver i know im going to love it. also if you have any information you think i should know or experiences diving around my area i would love to hear.

Looks like a sweet deal. I'm not that familiar with that wetsuit, but for the money ..
My only concern would be the 5 mil suit. How cold is the water around there? Do you plan on repetitive dives? Ask the shop where you will get certed at, what thickness do most of the divers around there wear.
Keep in mind, it is about being comfortable in the water. Staying warm is crucial to being comfortable.

From what I have heard, NY water is gonna be pretty cold. Most of the east coast crowd dive dry. If I was you, I'd look at getting at least a 7mm suit. For you, if money is a little tight, try this: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_982/Context_980/Sort_Relevance/DescSort_0/Filter_brand%3dNeosport__By__Henderson/Page_3/BLRW7M.html.
It's a two piece that's good down to about 38 degrees or so. It's not as high quality as most neoprene suits, so the suit won't be as stretchy and won't "memorize" your body shape as well, but the warmth will still be there. If you don't want the two piece and would prefer something with a little more quality materials for a good price, look at this: Pinnacle Cruiser 7mm Mens - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL.
I own a Pinnacle Cruiser myself, and I love it for summertime diving here in Montana. Keeps you nice and warm. I don't get cold easily, but it stops being effective for me at around 55 degrees. Then I start getting cold. At that point it's dry suit time. The price is more than the NeoSport, but you get what you pay for. Or you could go with something like this: Pinnacle Tempo Wetsuit - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL.
That's Pinnacle's top of the line suit. It is really durable, really stretchy, and has Pinnacle's Merino wool lining so it's super warm. I've used one and really liked it.

Also important are things to cover extremities. Make sure you have a good, close fitting hood, gloves, and boots. Especially the hood. The difference between being with one and without one is like night and day.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to our community and congrats on taking your open water! I love this sport and am quite addicted to it. There's nothing better for me.

Thanks for the quick reply, i was thinking that this is a great deal to begin with and if i need more warmth at a later point i could get a 5or7mm step in jacket to wear over this correct? or since this has sleeves would that not be a good idea?

Since that suit is long sleeve, you probably won't be able to get a jacket to go over the sleeves and fit right on your torso at the same time. I'd get a set that is made to go together, or a thicker, warmer full suit.
See my post above.

And remember, fit is vital in a wetsuit. It's better to have a slightly tight suit than one that's just a little too loose. The tighter one will keep you much warmer. If you're ordering online remember to be very honest about your sizing and get one that will fit just right.

When forced to dive wet I also use a rash guard and some type of Lycra shorts under the suit. Helps keep a little warmer and makes the suit very easy to take on and off. As people have said you really can beat a good fit and buying local allows you to try them on.

For local diving you will want 7mm with 2X on the core. You are far enough down the coast that some shallow peak season dives will probably be nice in a plain 7mm with a bibbed hood or chicken vest. For those reasons I suggest a full suit and hooded step-in vest, both 7mm. You can accessorize form there. My whole explicit answer is here.

Warm water can share the boots, probably needs no gloves and a 3mm suit is relatively small money of you can afford the trip.

Pete

It's a good enough deal I'm buying one! Well, I'm getting the suit by itself since I already have hood, boots and about 4 pairs of gloves. NeoSport is Henderson, I believe, and they are good suits. I have a neosport hooded vest I wear all the time and a 2.5mm spring suit which I like quite a bit. They're a good suit for a cheap price.

I would definatly go with a 7MM wetsuit for use in L.I. Sound.A hood will also be important to maintain body temperature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom