wetsuit fit, thickness questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bp_968

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diver and so far have tried 3 different rental suits (all in 78deg water). 3 mil shorty, 3 mil fullsize, and a 3 mil farmer john with a shorty over top. I freeze in all three! I've noticed every one of them flushes cold water through the neck seal into the chest though (and thats what gets me cold quick). I was thinking of getting a 5 mil custom suit (since I am tall and very skinny, 5'11" 127lbs, I figure custom is the only way to go). My question is one of adaptability. I want the 5 mil for caribbean/hawaii/pacific diving (its very doubtful I would get to warm). What options do I have for local diving (cincinnati ohio). How much will layering help? What kind of layering options should I consider? I'd like to be able to dive in water as cold as 65 deg (or as low as I can do without getting into needing a drysuit). I'm hoping if I get a suit that fits correctly I will be able to dive in colder water without instantly freezing like I do now. Otherwise diving may be a mid-summer/vacation only activity for me.

Ben

You are going to get all kinds of different responses. Personally I think I would buy a core warmer and use that with the 5MM suit and go from there. I know with the 5mm alone in 65 degree water I would be rather warm but that is me. You can always let in cool water if you get too hot.

bp_968:
I am new to diver and so far have tried 3 different rental suits (all in 78deg water). 3 mil shorty, 3 mil fullsize, and a 3 mil farmer john with a shorty over top. I freeze in all three! I've noticed every one of them flushes cold water through the neck seal into the chest though (and thats what gets me cold quick). I was thinking of getting a 5 mil custom suit (since I am tall and very skinny, 5'11" 127lbs, I figure custom is the only way to go). My question is one of adaptability. I want the 5 mil for caribbean/hawaii/pacific diving (its very doubtful I would get to warm). What options do I have for local diving (cincinnati ohio). How much will layering help? What kind of layering options should I consider? I'd like to be able to dive in water as cold as 65 deg (or as low as I can do without getting into needing a drysuit). I'm hoping if I get a suit that fits correctly I will be able to dive in colder water without instantly freezing like I do now. Otherwise diving may be a mid-summer/vacation only activity for me.

Ben

Hello, Ben,

Actually, I think we met last week. My name's John and I was in the shop you were taking classes with last Thursday when your wife was taking lessons. My biggest suggestion for wetsuits is to try them on and find one that fits tight on you. One of the reasons you may be getting cold is if the suit is loose and too much water is flowing into your wetsuit, it doesn't give your body enough time to warm the water against your skin. Personally, I have three suits I can interchange as I need to. I have a dive skin for protection and minor warmth, mostly for use in warm water or when I'm layering. I have a 3 mil that I use in the gulf on trips, and I have a 5-4-3 wetsuit that I use mostly here in the Cincinnati area. In the summer time, I'll just use the 5-4-3, with maybe the skin to help get the suit on easier. In cooler weather, and in the winter here, I'll wear all three, skin, 3 mil, then the 5-4-3, with a hood and heavy gloves to help keep me warm. Until I can afford a dry suit, this set up seems to work well for me and is pretty versatile for any type of water unless we're talking about extremely cold water where you're spending alot of time underwater. Most companies should be able to accommodate your build and weight, there's only been a few students I've met that have had to truly custom order a wetsuit. But then again, my biggest suggestion is to find one that fits you tightly so it'll keep you warm.

John

spectrum:
Since you seem to chill easilly and you are thinking of having a 5mm base suit I'd add this http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=23010&pf_id=61426 for colder water. I've worn mine with my Bare 5/4 velocity and with a toasty core you hardly notice your thinner sleeves and lower legs. the freedom of movement is also great.

pete

The link you provided takes you straight to the bare homepage. What product were you suggesting?

Ben

Hi John! If you mean friday, when I was there with my friend and my wife, then yes I remember :) Maybe I'll run into tonight. I'll have to try some suits on at the shop but from what I have seen so far I just don't have the chest meat to fill out off the rack suits. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong :)

Ben

nkydiver:
Hello, Ben,

Actually, I think we met last week. My name's John and I was in the shop you were taking classes with last Thursday when your wife was taking lessons. My biggest suggestion for wetsuits is to try them on and find one that fits tight on you. One of the reasons you may be getting cold is if the suit is loose and too much water is flowing into your wetsuit, it doesn't give your body enough time to warm the water against your skin. Personally, I have three suits I can interchange as I need to. I have a dive skin for protection and minor warmth, mostly for use in warm water or when I'm layering. I have a 3 mil that I use in the gulf on trips, and I have a 5-4-3 wetsuit that I use mostly here in the Cincinnati area. In the summer time, I'll just use the 5-4-3, with maybe the skin to help get the suit on easier. In cooler weather, and in the winter here, I'll wear all three, skin, 3 mil, then the 5-4-3, with a hood and heavy gloves to help keep me warm. Until I can afford a dry suit, this set up seems to work well for me and is pretty versatile for any type of water unless we're talking about extremely cold water where you're spending alot of time underwater. Most companies should be able to accommodate your build and weight, there's only been a few students I've met that have had to truly custom order a wetsuit. But then again, my biggest suggestion is to find one that fits you tightly so it'll keep you warm.

John

bp_968:
Hi John! If you mean friday, when I was there with my friend and my wife, then yes I remember :) Maybe I'll run into tonight. I'll have to try some suits on at the shop but from what I have seen so far I just don't have the chest meat to fill out off the rack suits. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong :)

Ben

I think you're right. My days are stringing together anymore. :wink: It was a pleasure talking to you last week. I'll be at the shop early tonight. I'm the guinea pig for the stress and rescue class to practice rescuing, and we have a student who was sick last week and has the choice to either wait until the next stress and rescue class to get caught back up or meet an instructor early to get caught up with the rest of the class. I agreed to come in early tonight to help him get up to speed and also to go over some plans for some dive trips we're planning and I'm leading this fall. Suits are unique creatures. I've bought some off the rack and others I've had to order and get brought in instead. And what's strange is that every brand is different. My 5-4-3 is an offbrand called Powerflex and it's a 2x, but just a little loose in the arms. My 3 mil is a Bare, and it's only an XL, while my skin is a Scubapro and it's a 2x and just about the right fit. I think I'll have to look into one of the new extra flexible wetsuits for my next 5 mil, either a Hyperstretch or an Everflex. They're nice, and very easy to slip on.

John

bp_968:
The link you provided takes you straight to the bare homepage. What product were you suggesting?

Ben

Your browser must be blocking something since the link in your reply even works for me. It's the 7mm Arctic vest. It's a sleeveless hooded step-in shorty with a diagonal thigh/cheek zipper, an awesome layering item. It will of course complement the 7mm Arctic full suit nicely too.

BTW, if you're getting alot of neck action scuba diving I'd look at that fit closely. I get neck flushing when I skin-dive (piking down) but that's with a lot more velocity than scuba diving usually entails. Since I've begun scuba diving I've noticed a HUGE reduction in infiltration, and I didn't think I was getting much to begin with. The effect of total imersion makes it about a wash overall.

Pete

spectrum:
Your browser must be blocking something since the link in your reply even works for me. It's the 7mm Arctic vest. It's a sleeveless hooded step-in shorty with a diagonal thigh/cheek zipper, an awesome layering item. It will of course complement the 7mm Arctic full suit nicely too.

BTW, if you're getting alot of neck action scuba diving I'd look at that fit closely. I get neck flushing when I skin-dive (piking down) but that's with a lot more velocity than scuba diving usually entails. Since I've begun scuba diving I've noticed a HUGE reduction in infiltration, and I didn't think I was getting much to begin with. The effect of total imersion makes it about a wash overall.

Pete

Seems to work now. Do you wear that underneath or above your 5mil?

Ben

bp_968:
Seems to work now. Do you wear that underneath or above your 5mil?

Ben

That is worn above any fullsuit.
Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom