Wetsuit fitting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, this is probably the dumbest question I've asked. I did a brief search but probaly didn't hit the right keywords. :/

Just bought a 7mm wetsuit online.. how do I tell if it fits good or if it's too tight? I'm not sure where the line is between "thick, bulky wetsuit I'm not used to" and "dude, that's a lttle too tight". You know what I mean?

When I pull it on, it takes an extremely tough effort to do so. My wife has to help me pull it off. When it's actually on, it's pretty tight but I can move alright. I don't know how much of this is a need to break in the suit or just get underwater...

Oy. :)

Sounds like it might be a little tight.

Ideally a suit makes contact all over, but does not restrict your movement. If the water access points- wrists, ankles and neck have good contact with your skin that will slow water entry enough to keep the rapid freeze when you jump in to a minimum.

You can get suits with zippers on the ankles and wrists if those are the only tight spots. If it's tight all over you may want to try a larger size.

Good luck!

If you can get it on, it doesn't restrict your movement, doesn't cut off your circulation and you can breath without any difficulty it isn't too small. As stated it is meant to be skin tight. Water can get in but shouldn't wash through freely. Go with the largest size that stays skin tight there isn't any need for it to be overly tight unless you are on the edge and loosing weight. If you have a less perfect body style try Hyperstretch or superstretch.

Yes it does- I have one too, good suit. Got one for my son also.

There are strips around the wrists and ankles that do a good job slowing the water circulation so you don't need a super tight fit.

The material is real stretchy so if you are having that much trouble getting into it then you should go up a size.

I also have a Bare arctic. Great suit...:coffee:
Did you check your sizing with their charts?BARE Canada / USA Currency Selection
They are on their website and are a good start to see if the size you have is good for you.
Like others said, mine is in contact with my skin, almost everywhere. But is not so tight as to cause discomfort or cut off circulation out of the water (although the hood is quite tight out of the water). Obviously, when I put on the 7mm vest, it gets a bit tighter. But once in the water, I'm fine.

It is hard to get in and out of, but not so hard as I can't do it myself...:no If you have to empty your lungs to get it on, or stuff like that, chances are it's too small. Try wearing it around the house for a bit. If you turn blue within 10 minutes, it's probably too small...

This is really a hard thing to determine. Ultimately, it's your impression that counts more than anything!

Good luck!:coffee:

One thing that may help with putting it on and taking it off is a lycra skin. I wear one under my 7mm FJ, and it makes a world of difference -- especially when it's wet. My suit shrank over last winter -- forcing me to lose 21 pounds over the spring & summer. I'll just have to keep a better eye on that suit this winter!

It shouldn't be "extremely difficult " to get on and off. I have to agree that it sounds a bit small. You might try some Glide to lubricate your wrists and ankles before you put it on. it helps to remove it.

Thanks, guys. Sizing charts are hard for me because there's always a dimension or two that doesn't fit, and puts me between two sizes. I've ordered the next size up, and will try both on when it arrives. Appreciate the feedback, everyone!

Your description of pulling it on and off leaves me to wonder if part or all of your issues are the suit or technique.

Lets start with fit.....
Once you do get settled into the suit it should not hinder your inhalation or help you exhale.

You should have nearly full range of motion without feeling like the rubber band man. Place palms on opposing shoulders, reach for the stars, touch your toes as good as without the suit, that sort of stuff.

The zipper should not be pulling much more than 1 inch of rubber to close the suit. Don't confuse this with getting the suit to settle on you. AFTER you have been in the suit unzip it and have someone observe how much the zipper is actually stretching the rubber. If it's much more than an inch be cautions about the breathing interference mentioned above.

On the other side of the fit equation it should fit with no bagginess and few wrinkles. After making a dive in it and removing the suit you should see the impressions of the stitching on your arms and legs.

Do not count on getting it wet to correct a bad fit. Getting it wet should make the difference between it feeling good and not knowing it's there.

If a cold water suit is new to you feeling like a cross between a super hero and the Michelin man is normal.

Donning and doffing,

Pulling is the least of it. The suit should be rolled down so when you slip your feet into the legs you are only mid calf deep.With the legs end in the right place roll it up to your knees and make sure the knee pads are facing forward and are high enough. If in doubt bring them up a little while it's easy. Now the suit will roll right up your legs. Flip it up over your butt and punch out through the sleeves. Make sure it is settled in well on the shoulders. The process is much like a lady donning a nylon stocking.

To get out of the suit reverse the procedure letting the suit roll off of you. It should end up inside out on the floor. If getting out of the suit is hard something may be wrong with the suit but it is probably your method.

I dive the ARCTIC with the hooded step-in shorty vest as well as the hooded thermalskin vest and it's a great suit, especially for the $$.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom