Wetsuit for Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefugee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey fellow divers. I am joining the Scubaboard Invasion 2022 Cozumel trip next Saturday (June 18). It's been FOREVER since I have been to Cozumel. I was wondering if a 2.5mm shortie would be good. Will I be too hot or cold with that protection? I will also be wearing 7mm booties - although I am debating on purchasing some thinner booties. I usually dive the California coast in a drysuit for multiple dives for multiple days.

Also debating on whether I should purchase a new BCD (ScubaPro Hydros Pro?) or bring my BPW (heavy). Thoughts?

If I was going I'd have a 3mm full suit, probably with a hooded vest as a back-up, but YMMV. I always bring my BM/W(ss) and have never found the weight to be an issue. That's why the duffel bag has little wheels on it.

Wow. I thought a 3mm full suit would be too warm. I was debating on purchasing a 1mm or 2mm full suit. Now you have me worried.

My wife and I will each be taking a 1mm skin. Last year when we were in Roatan, the water temps were around 80º and after the first dive, we dived in just our bathing suits and a rash guard. The water in Coz will be as warm if not warmer than that. Last time I was in Coz was during May a few years ago and the water temps then were around 82º so it should be warmer during the Invasion. I can well imagine we won't be using our skins.

But depending on your temperature tolerances, as @rongoodman said, YMMV.

I'm bringing my my 3.5mm full, but I am doing the centote trip.
I'd probably be more than fine in in my 2.5 shortie - it may come (if I have the extra weight allowance) for the boat diving.

ETA: I do have a used Henderson skin I picked up for $10 but havent used. Never had an appropriate opportunity. I guess I'll dig it up ...

Personal tolerances usually depend on what one is used to. I hate getting cold and dive a 1 mil full suit summers, add a 3 mil shorty in winter, and carry a beanie I may add. YMMV.
I usually dive the California coast in a drysuit for multiple dives for multiple days.
So you don't experience cold? You live far enough north that I guess you do in regular life, even at 52 feet elevation. I'd think your 2.5mm shortie would be more than enough, but you'll be okay in the water and can always remove it on SIs. I wear a long suit to avoid burns from floating hydroids and only add the shorty over it if needed, and would suggest the same for you.

I think your feet will get hot in 7mil boots. Sometimes I forget to change from my canvas boarding shoes and dive those with no problem, but then I wear nylon socks that protect my ankles from the floaties.
For me I go minimum 3mm full suit.
As you're from Canada, I'd think that would be too much, but tolerances vary.

I wear 3mm wetsuit when I'm in Cozumel every February. In the summer I usually wear a 1.5mm 2 PC wetsuit.
I have had a hyros pro since they 1st came out and would highly recommend it. They're a great recreational bc.

It is warm water diving at around 83-84F. The big 'but' in this is loss of core temp over a solid week of diving. Everybody is different and each has their own temperature tolerance. Personally I wear full 3mm year round with the added benefit of a rash guard.

Back
Top Bottom