Wetsuit for grand caymen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

malinut

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a California diver who is used to wearing a thick 7mm wetsuit and hood. I will be making my first dive at Grand Caymen this December. Is a wetsuit needed? If so, what thickness is common?

Thanks for the help. :D

take a 3mm. Other divers will give you flak but watch them shiver after the second dive!

Yep, definitely a 3mm. If you get too warm, you can pull the neck and flush it through with water, but otherwise you will still be toasty when most of the guys in skins or shorts and Ts will be feeling a little on the chilly side, particularly if you are doing multiple dives a day.

Mark

I ditto both Markuk and Royalediver. a 3mm is perfect!!!

malinut:
I am a California diver who is used to wearing a thick 7mm wetsuit and hood. I will be making my first dive at Grand Caymen this December. Is a wetsuit needed? If so, what thickness is common?

Thanks for the help. :D

I just returned from the Caymans. I think the replies you have received are right on the money. I wore a 3 mil wetsuit, but was diving 5 dives per day (live aboard- Nekton Rorqual). And be advised, if you are diving night dives, there will be a possibility of sea wasps. Wet suits won't protect your face or hands but give a lot of coverage to other tender parts.

Art

Water temp will most likely be in the 80 to 82 degree range. As a cold water diver (at least by my standards) I bet you will find a shorty to be plenty, maybe even a t-shirt. If you are doing many dives daily over several days, or night dives it might be safe throw a 3 mil in the bag just in case. Enjoy!

Thank you all for the advice. It is much appreciated. I think I am gonna pick up a 3mm shorty to take with me. To think how excited my wife will be when she hears I am buying yet another piece of SCUBA equipment :eyebrow:

"But, honey it is all lifesaving equipment. You want me to be safe right?" :D

If you have a skin, toss it in too. The 3 mm probably will be just the ticket, but I've found that I can get by in GC with just a skin on most days. Not really thermal -- just protection from getting scrapes etc. if I'm kneeling in the sand to take picture.

I have a 0.5mm full wetsuit that I picked up pretty cheap that I use when diving warm water. (Being from California, that would be anything over 70*.:D ) I also have a 2mm core warmer that I use under my 7mm when it gets cold at home. So I will usually take that to wear under 0.5mm if I am going to be doing alot of diving.

I've never worn more than a skin in Cayman. It's really pretty hard for someone else to know if you would be happier in 1mm, 3mm, or whatever, though I think people used to diving cold water or from colder climates tend to be happy with less. Whatever you use, IMO full coverage is a better idea than a shorty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom