Wetsuit for the vertically challenged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kchFLA

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm only 5 feet 1 inch tall. Weight I ain't gonna tell ya but let's just say its not the 100 pounds that the sizing charts associate with being short.:ignore:

Does anyone have a particular brand to recommend to a short person? One that might run on the shorter side?

With the new extra-stretchy material, could I get a size smaller for the shortness and have the stretch for the weight?

I'll definitely have to try these things on, but I'd like to have some ideas to start with so I can spend less time in the changing room and more time underwater.:D

Get a custom suit. You won’t be disappointed. IF you don’t want to pay the price for custom, try Xcel. When I worked in a dive shop, we seemed to have a few vertically challenged individuals that came into our shop. We sold several different types of suits i.e. O’Neil, Xcel, Bodyglove and a few others that I can’t think of or no-longer exist. However these individuals that I spoke of formally of, seemed to like the Xcel wet/dive suit best.

~Cheers~

some sort of hyperstretch suit might work, all you can do is go try some one and see. Custom suits are always a possibility and not as expensive as you might think, it's a topic that's been discussed here often enough so you could probably search and find suggestions for places that do custom suits.

I am 5'2, 155lb, and shaped like a whisky keg. A small 7/5mm henderson hyperstretch fits me like a custom made wetsuit. When I first wore the suit I was 177lb so this suit is really forgiving about weight gain and loss. BTW It is very warm in really cold water.

My wife is 5'0 a little over a 118lb and a 7/5mm womens (6) Henderson Hyperstretch gives her a custom fit as well.

Henderson will also do custom alterations for a little extra

Bare has a much extended off the rack range as anyone.

Don't rely on stretch for weight, that's a poor substitute for a good fit. A stretched suit will not hold up as well nor will it offer full thermal protection.

Get ahold of LiquidFit, Atlan or one of the other custiom makers you see mentioned here. The SMALL price premium will surprise you. In fact it may be a wash compared to some premium stretch suits.

If you can get locally measured that is my preference. Atlan has dealers that provide this service. In FL you probably have some very local neoprene talent.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom