Wetsuit: Full or Shorty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,
I posted this question in the general dive question forum before I realized that there was a snorkel/ freedive forum. Hopefully you guys can help also! My wife and I snorkel in the USVI's in April when the surface temp is 78-80 degrees w/ full sun and a breeze. An hour into a 2-3hr session we are pretty cold so this year are purchasing wetsuits. Some say a 2-3mm shorty is plenty while others suggest a 3pm full suit. Thanks for any experience!!!

Get the full suit better protection from the elements and jellyfish. Also no need for sunscreen:cool2:

I never use my shorty anymore...

I live in the USVI and for snorkeling in April you should be ok with a long sleeved reef shirt and board shorts. If you think you will get cold then go for a dive skin to protect you from the elements. You could wear a reef shirt underneath if you get cold.

You will definitely want to protect yourself from the sun at that time of year. It can be brutal.

At those temps a shorty wetsuit should keep you warm unless you are snorkeling on a cloudy or rainy day. However, personally I prefer a full wetsuit to prevent sunburn, jellyfish stings, cuts from inadvertently brushing against rocks, etc. One thing to keep in mind if you do get a wetsuit is that it will be very hard to dive down into the water column unless you also use a weight belt. (I always use one). You could try using a neutrally buoyant polar-fleece lined suit for increased warmth, but I have never found these as warm as claimed. A neoprene, buoyant suit is the only thing that really keeps me warm.

I like to be warm plus the added boyancy of the full 3mm makes snorkeling almost effortless. Besides - if you get warm just flood the suit.

How much harder is it to dive while wearing a suit? Are they really that buoyant when saturated? When snorkeling, we are constantly diving (down to 30') so, this could be a problem!

Yes it could. When I have worn a 3mm to snorkel I usually wear about 2lbs of weight to compensate.

It will be harder to dive with the wetsuit. You will float very well and as warmwaterturner says, you will need to add weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom