Wetsuit or Semi Dry 7m recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i just picked up the isotherm have not dived it yet though but have only herd good reports

The camero 7mm stingray looks interesting. Any reviews or feedbacks on them?

I have two friends who have them, and REALLY like them. My wife and I ordered one each based on our friends feedback, but they did not fit us like we wanted and sent them back. That said, my wife is not easily fit in an off the rack wetsuit. I am typically MT and according to the STP chart I ordered a L, which was too wide on the torso for me. They seemed well constructed, and comfortable though.

Remember the OP's budget is US $200.00. The Mares is on sale for that price right now. Thus, there is no comparision to the Nova Scotia, a great suit as well, but very costly by comparison right now.

Don't know about the Camaro. I believe that Mares and ScubaPro basically invented/perfected the design. It looks like the Camaro has a dry zipper with a pull-over neck seal. but the space between the neck and zipper looks like one inch. That has got to pose a tearing problem over time if you dive a lot.

To the OP, your first instinct was the best one, considering cost (remember the hood is included with the Mares), dryness and quality. I see you are from Vancouver. For diving in that water, it is a no-brainer, to me.

I would absolutely NOT go with the freediving suits. They are purpose-specific and not well suited for scuba, either in durability or ease of putting on and off. The Mares slides on and off extremely easily. and is very durable with knee and elbow pads, etc.

Everything Mr. Fudd says is true about the good things, but I use a freediving suit for freediving. I would never use it for scuba. They are not "dry" either. They are wet and designed to be that way. Nothing wrong with that, but the semi-dry will be super-warm.

Remember the OP's budget is US $200.00. The Mares is on sale for that price right now. Thus, there is no comparision to the Nova Scotia, a great suit as well, but very costly by comparison right now.

Don't know about the Camaro. I believe that Mares and ScubaPro basically invented/perfected the design. It looks like the Camaro has a dry zipper with a pull-over neck seal. but the space between the neck and zipper looks like one inch. That has got to pose a tearing problem over time if you dive a lot.

To the OP, your first instinct was the best one, considering cost (remember the hood is included with the Mares), dryness and quality. I see you are from Vancouver. For diving in that water, it is a no-brainer, to me.

I would absolutely NOT go with the freediving suits. They are purpose-specific and not well suited for scuba, either in durability or ease of putting on and off. The Mares slides on and off extremely easily. and is very durable with knee and elbow pads, etc.

Everything Mr. Fudd says is true about the good things, but I use a freediving suit for freediving. I would never use it for scuba. They are not "dry" either. They are wet and designed to be that way. Nothing wrong with that, but the semi-dry will be super-warm.

Really can't disagree with you more about freedive suits. They use a design that is warmer than any other suit. No zippers and attached hood. The entire interior is smooth rubber so it does not allow much water to enter suit (unless you want to by pulling the hood away). I have no idea how you say they are designed to be wet. in fact I convinced a buddy to use one once and he got a terrible nut squeeze. He let no water in and the suit was completely dry. They are easier to put on than any nylon lined suit I have ever worn because you use a lubricating fluid to slip into them. I will admit that removal of the jacket is not as easy as a zippered jacket on a scuba suit, but if you do it the right way and have a buddy help for 10 seconds..it is easy to take off. I know you bought a dry suit for diving in south Florida, but I have used freedive suits for scuba diving in Maine in temps that were below 45 degrees... Warmer than any scuba suit I have used, including ones with double hoods and extra layers on chest.

Well, I have not tried a thicker freedive suit for cold water, that is true. I agree with all of the good things about freediving suits, but the trouble of putting one on, and the durability issue, keep me in standard wetsuits for scuba (got to love the "lube" tho). Got the 7 mil for an expected trip (maybe several) to California. Got the drysuit as an impulse because there was a deal on ebay I could not resist. Going to try that Friday at BHB to see how I like it and how much hassle it is. If it is not to my liking I will sell it on . . . With the 7 milsemi-dry I am probably good for any Florida dive, although some of my BHB macro dives to 2+ hours and can get pretty chilly when temps hit 70.

The one time I used the 7 mil was 65-72 degrees at Crystal River for 2.5 hours. I was toasty the whole time and barely damp when I got out, could have gone 2 hours more. It was a winner, as far as I could tell, and at 200 just an incredible steal. Also built like a tank and should last many years. Just think it is a really good option for the OP, given the price, as long as supplies last. I think a higher quality freedive suit would run more $$$ but have not researched that to see what might be on sale.

Diving dry will have to offer a major improvement in comfort if I am going to deal with the hassle. Diving 50-55 degrees in California might change my mind, but divers I spoke to out there said the Mares should be plenty warm, once I add gloves and boots. Guess I will find out this July at the Channel Islands.

Well it looks like the Mares 6.5 is sold out in my size. So now i'm looking at the first gen Henderson Hyperstretch and the Camaro.

I've got a 5mm Mako free dive suit and a 7mm O'neil J-suit and I dive them both here in Puget Sound. I find the J-suit is slightly warmer, but my 5mm is warmer than most 7mm scuba wetsuits I have used in the past. Past 70' and from November to March neither one is really adequate around here. That's drysuit territory.

As far as getting into them, I find I just slide right into a free dive suit. With the lube, they really slip on easily. I've actually had fewer wear problems with the free dive suit, but I try to be extra gentle with the interior and I've had it a much shorter time than I've had the J-suit which probably has north of 200 dives on it and is getting ready to be retired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom