wetsuit purchase for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forestfish.
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need. A 80-110 $ full 3mm is the perfect suit to start of with....The only way to buy it is at your LDS.......like everything else in scuba....take your time, and try on alot of them. .....you might want to leave the kiddos at home for this!!
As for diving once a year or so... I've trained many folks like you....and so long as you do a good amount of refreshing of your skills before hand. 1, you will be pulled in by the joy of scuba and 2. you won't $pend that first two tank boat dive trying to remembering everything.............
Hire a good DM and make sure to inform him or her that your a vacation diver and tip them well. they don't mind taking extra care of you as long as your honest about it.. Just think of it this way "It's not like riding a bike" You have to practice to be safe and have fun.......

If you go with a 3mm and intend to do more than a couple of dives a day when you are on the GBR, think about getting a hood and gloves as well. I was diving there a few weeks ago (23 Celsius) and was very glad of my full length 5mm suit and hood and gloves and I normally dive in much cooler temps than that. I know it is very personally dependant but you can always leave them behind if you don't need them..
Alison

JimLap:
I just got my 5/4 BARE velocity from divetank today. I thought it a little weird but the insert said to try it on wet. maybe in the shower. I'll try anything once. You know what, as good as it fit and it fits great, getting it wet improved the fit.
Hmmm... interesting... but if you try it on wet, and it still doesn't fit, it might be tough to return or exchange it...

Marek K:
Hmmm... interesting... but if you try it on wet, and it still doesn't fit, it might be tough to return or exchange it...

DiveTank will actualy allow a return/exchange after as many as 2 dives! Of course it's on the honor system.

I have some Bare suits including the 5/4 velocity and it you don it and are sweaty at all it won't conform to it's fullest until wet. The wrist and calf seals will cling as they should and getting wet luibricates and lets things settle into the best fit.

It's a nice suit. Consider adding the 3/5 hooded vest as an excellent layering item.

Pete

If you are located in illinois i will advice to get a 7mm, think about it

Okay, I purchased (and did the training dives in) a ScubaPro Pacific Steamer. It is a 3mm suit, and fits me like it was made for me.

For the training dives, I wore my suit under a long sleeve/shorty 5mm, and borrowed a hood. The water temp was 74F. Out of the water I was roasting, and couldn't move well, but in the water, I felt fine.

Since the water off Cairns will be about 10 degrees warmer, I think I should be okay.

I am planning on doing my Advance OW while onboard, and I think I will buy a pair of reef gloves upon arrival.

Thanks for all the great advice everyone has given!

Here's to Oz! 10 days and counting...

I think that you should try to buy the wetsuit locally in case you need to exchange for something else and also for better longer term service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom