Wetsuit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hartl0602

Registered
Reaction score
Northern Illinois - round lake to be exact
# of dives
0 - 24
I was wondering has anyone ever directly compared the fit and warmth of the Down 130 6.5 mm suit to a henderson hyperstretch 7mm? i'm debating between the two (due to the down 130 deal) and wanted to make sure i'm getting a good suit.

Thanks

Sean

A good suit, especially when you need a thick warm one, starts with top flight material ... unfortunately neither of your selections does. If you really want warmth you need Rubatex, and a good fit.

hate to bump a post but has anyone tried the down 130 7mm wetsuits? i can't seem to find much on these, which doesn't make me very comfortable with the purchase.

The Down130 is a nice suit. I have a couple friends that dive them and say they have no problem with the quarry (50ish degrees). I tried the suit and the body fit me well, but I tend to need a "short" version. Down130 was offering a great deal to Scubaboard members, not sure if it is still good or not....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ho...-three-wetsuits-2-pair-gloves-boots-hood.html

A good suit, especially when you need a thick warm one, starts with top flight material ... unfortunately neither of your selections does. If you really want warmth you need Rubatex, and a good fit.

I concur with the Rubatex recommendation. I aquired a 3mm custom fitted suit from Wetwear around 6 months ago and could not be more pleased. I am generally quite comfortable when most of my friends are freezing in their 5mm stock suits. The Rubatex does not commpress nearly as much as the other wetsuit materials in use which translates to better insulation as well as maintaining it's bouyancy at depth thereby reducing the need to add air and drag to your BCD. Lastly, it is safer for this reason as well in the event of a BCD failure...

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

I concur with the Rubatex recommendation. I aquired a 3mm custom fitted suit from Wetwear around 6 months ago and could not be more pleased. I am generally quite comfortable when most of my friends are freezing in their 5mm stock suits. The Rubatex does not commpress nearly as much as the other wetsuit materials in use which translates to better insulation as well as maintaining it's bouyancy at depth thereby reducing the need to add air and drag to your BCD. Lastly, it is safer for this reason as well in the event of a BCD failure...

Welcome to Wetwear - Custom Wet Suits of Rubatex Neoprene for Scuba Diving and All Water Activities

I also have several Wetwear products. I wear a Wetwear 5mm Jumpsuit with a 5/3 shorty over it in the Rubatex material. I am able to dive 50's with no problem. The compression factors are really what help keep you warm. Wetwear's suits are also very economically priced compared to other custom wetsuits.

wetwear.com

I wouldn't even consider a Henderson Hyperstretch/Aqualund Aquaflex. I have owned both. Even by other members, they have bad reviews. Wear out easily, Piling...

Consider the Waterproof (out of Sweden) 7mm. almost like a semi-dry. VERY comfortable, Minimal flow through of water (virtually none). Used comfortably in 57 degree water 45+ minute dives. When you exit and drain the water from the ankle seals it is almost hot enough to make tea.

Really nice but over $400 MSRP.

I have their 3mm as well. For me as good as my 5mm Harvey. Better even.

For Ohio diving I use the Waterproof 7mm from 57 or so to 70 degrees. Then the 3 mm.

When I get the energy up I will don my DUI drysuit for weekends of cooler weather topside and 60 degree or less water down under.

Back
Top Bottom