Wetsuit Question???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My opinion is to use a 3 ML full, you can always pop the neck to cool off and you have protection incase you run into any jelly fish. Just my opinion.

I also agree to have the full 3mil with you at all times. I always dive in a 3 full, and still get chilled at the end of the dive (~ 1 hour). This is in Cozumel in Sept, and year round in South Florida. Like tmac said, also lots of protection from the stingey things...

What suit is appropriate depends a bit on:
- Obviously, what the water temps are -- including any thermoclines
- Length and number of dives? (More dives and longer/deeper dives tend to make you colder)
- What is your natural tolerance to cold?
- How active are you during the dive? (slow and deliberate is colder than the swim meet approach)
- How much can you warm up (or get further cooled down) between dives? (Can you bask 90 degree heat or will you be on a moving boat?)

Personally, I try and dive with just a t-shirt and shorts if the water temp is 80 or higher. I often wear a beannie as well. On that same dive, my brother will freeze in anything less than a 3/2 full length. I have seen people in those conditions use a 7mm. So it really just depends...

Personally, if I already owned a shorty, I might start with that. But if was buying a wetsuit for the first time, I would buy something like a 3/2.

Our regular dive group looked at the bottom time we get on identical dives down at Boynton Beach, FL. Suit -vs- no suit. Even at 84 degrees, we get about 10% more bottom time when wearing the 3mm full suit. 65 minutes rather than 59 minutes, for example. It feels nice to dive without the suit, but those are the numbers.

Back
Top Bottom