Wetsuit Thickness (2mm vs 5mm)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently have a 3/2mm shorty wetsuit, but found it inadequate even when in the swimming pool, with me usually shivering after 40 minutes of diving.

Having established that I'm more susceptible to cold than most

He already has a 3/2 shorty and he gets cold easily.

I stand by my earlier recommendation to get a 5mm (or 5/4). He can use the 3/2 he already has if it really is too warm for a 5mm.

In tropical waters, many divers are a bit cool with a shorty wetsuit. In most cases, a 3 mm wetsuit is all that is needed. It’s tropcial Asia, SST varies between 27* to 30* C. As posted earlier, the temperature of water in a swimming pool does not scale to the marine environment.

For tropical diving I have a 3mm long steamer and carry a Shark Skin Chillproof short sleeve vest to use under it on certain sites where I know the water will be much colder... eg walls in Banda Sea near deep trenches with thermoclines can feel FREEZING in comparison :eek:
The Sharkskin vest is very light, packs up small, has a neoprene collar and is neutrally buoyant:
Chillproof Short Sleeve - Mens - Sharkskin

For tropical diving I have a 3mm long steamer and carry a Shark Skin Chillproof short sleeve vest to use under it on certain sites where I know the water will be much colder... eg walls in Banda Sea near deep trenches with thermoclines can feel FREEZING in comparison :eek:
The Sharkskin vest is very light, packs up small, has a neoprene collar and is neutrally buoyant:
Chillproof Short Sleeve - Mens - Sharkskin

Please tell me more...I'm going to Banda in October 2019 and get cold very easily. How cold were the thermoclines that you experienced? Thanks!

The water near the trenches at Banda is crystal clear and MUCH colder than the surrounding area... we had 40m+ viz which was incredible.
As for the actual temperature I believe it was only about 18-20C but everyone suffered... it was after that trip I discovered the Sharkskin vest via another AU diver who had one.

The water near the trenches at Banda is crystal clear and MUCH colder than the surrounding area... we had 40m+ viz which was incredible.
As for the actual temperature I believe it was only about 18-20C but everyone suffered... it was after that trip I discovered the Sharkskin vest via another AU diver who had one.

:eek::eek::eek: @Dan_T are you reading this? 18-20C? :eek::eek::eek: That's 8/7 semi dry for me or at the very least a 7mm with hood. :D

ayeeeeeee...definitely bringing the 3/4/5 hooded vest to go over my 5mm. YIKES.

:eek::eek::eek: @Dan_T are you reading this? 18-20C? :eek::eek::eek: That's 8/7 semi dry for me or at the very least a 7mm with hood. :D

ayeeeeeee...definitely bringing the 3/4/5 hooded vest to go over my 5mm. YIKES.

What a bunch of wuss :D

Well, check out the latest Banda Sea, Ring of Fire video, below. Some of those guys wearing shorty :)

And this native alorian free diver just wear underwater :D

Hah... guilty :D
But having the vest made it much more comfortable... amazing diving, I'd go back to Banda in a flash!

Last edited:
I wear 3mm full wetsuit for 77-82F (25-28C). After 3 days of 3-5 dives/day, I may put my 2mm shorty over the 3mm full. If the water temperature gets around 68-75F (20-24C) I put on 5mm full & 2mm beanie. If the water temperature gets around 59-66F (15-19C), I put on 7mm full. Don’t want to go diving in colder water (below 59F / 15C).

If you can only get one suit, the 5mm will open you up to most options. Some places around southeast asia can have seasonally colder water (20-25C).

And to put it into perspective, you're looking at putting in several RM10,000s in your journey to technical diving as there is much diving, gear, and training, that you need to pay for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom