Wetsuit Thickness for Malaysia & SEA ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
What it the tickness of wetsuit for diving in Malaysia (Sipadan ...etc.) and the surrounding South East Asia (SEA) region ???

I am interested in both night and day diving.

I concur with animian2002. 3 mil. is fine, day or night, all year round. On the surface, I usually want to get out of my wetsuit ASAP due to the heat, unless I need to lose a few kilos/pounds through perspiration ! :D Seriously though, don't forget to replenish fluids lost due to the tropical climate. Wishing you good diving in SE Asia :)

Water temp in here is usually about 26 (early morning) - 32 (mid day) deg C.

3mm would do just fine, unless you are the type that gets the chill in the water easily. Seeing that you are from a cold country taking cooler water temp wouldn't really be an issue for you.

Have seen some divers from the cold countries, dived without wetsuit coz they say the water is very warm for them. And I am shivering from the winds.

:D

3mm fullsuit worked for me. though i do see dm's with 5mm, and another buddy who did 6-8 dives a weekend wear those as well.
i do use booties and gloves, but no hoods.

my instructor confessed to diving his drysuit once a week (trilam)

if you're gonna be here for a short stint, maybe 3mm woud work just fine, i think. maybe a beanie might not be a bad idea. dtch in daytime, don at night.

not familiar with missisippi diving. if the temp is on the cooler side (i started out ding in 48-55F waters), then definitely 3 mm should feel okay since you'll be getting acclimitized to much warmer conditions.

have fun, and welcome to the region.

I usually wear a 0.5mm fullsuit. More than enough for me (I never get cold). I do have a 3mm suit but has never had the opportunity to wear it yet!! :) In 23 dives, the coldest I've encountered is 24C (75F) and that was only on that ONE dive, also it was quite a deep dive to 28m (92ft) where there was a thermocline..

Look at the weather underground sea surface temperature. Water temp varies with season. Expect a drop of 3-4 degrees Celcius in the thermocline.

Bali and Manado get can realy cool at certain time of the year, I had 21* celcius before in Manado and around it.

For example now in the Indian Ocean side of Java Island in Indonesia, ( Bali share the same Ocean too ) we are getting surface temp at 28 but at 70 feet and deeper it start to get about 24 Cel.

Just watch the kind of water u dive, cool water is now coming into the equator. The deeper the Ocean, the more likely you get cooler water if at the right time. Wherever the location is if it is called a sea and not Ocean, u might not get very cool water in Asia if the spot is still about 5-7 degrees south or north of the Equator.

The El nino might spoilt some pattern. A Polartec hood is very useful if u want to travel light.

Have fun

A 3mm should be Ok but if it down to 21 or thereabouts a 5mm would be better.

whichever thickness, i suggest a full-body suit to protect you from stings and scratches. and please wear a hood. you lose more heat throught your cranium than any other part of the body.

i now wear a .5mm skin and 3mm hood. i used to wear a 3mm shorty but kept getting nicked and abraded in the knees and lower legs. then the stings on my arms! oy vey!

K

ps stay hydrated

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom