wetsuit thickness to water temp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivrBikr

Registered
Reaction score
Melbourne Beach, FL (still from Colorado!)
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anybody tell me if there is a chart, reference guide, list or wetsuit guru that can give a basic guideline to wetsuit thickness to water temp?

Thanks!

From my little experience, I would say that, if you're a recreational diver, you should only buy either a 5mm or a 7mm wetsuit.

You'll never be HOT in a 5mm (if you are, just unzip and let the water in). So if you're not a pro and don't want to spend couple hundred bucks on another suit just for warm water, go for the 5mm

Now the line between 5 and 7 depends on the person and accessories. If you don't wear a hood, jacket or anything else, I would go for the 7mm to dive in water below 60F

For "most"

>82= swimsuit or lycra dive skin
82-75F= 3mm full
75-68F=5mm full with gloves
68-60F= 7mm full with gloves and hood
<60F= drysuit, although some people try to get away with farmer johns and similar

remember, these are highly subjective marks, just numbers that I have found keep most people "ok" for 2-3 dives a day. I have also found that many ladies are more cold sensitive than the men, or maybe they are just more willing to admit it.

I dive a Pinnacle Seal (Merino lined 3mm suit) from low 80's down to about 66F. This is probably the single warmest suit for its thickness on the market All I change is adding gloves, a beanie or hood, or worst case a hooded vest. Below that I just grab my drysuit

March thru November, I wear a wetsuit. Surface temps vary from <60° to 70°+. I use a 1/4" custom seal-neck jon from Otter Bay and wear a variety of jackets over it, depending on conditions. Lightest is a 2.5 mm Hyperflex longsleeve shorty in the warmest part of summer. Heaviest is a 7 mm Harvey's beaver tail jacket. Once it drops much past 60°, I get into a Mares Isotherm semi-dry and eventually end up in a Harvey's neoprene drysuit. Temps here in the Bay will dip below 50° in the middle of winter (like right now :wink: )

As always, I appreciate the info.
Thanks to all. :)

Of course temp. comfort varies from diver to diver ...and dive to dive. Typically that deep-down chilled feeling creeps up on you by the third dive of the day if you're 'cheating' a bit and wearing not quite enough neoprene.

It's all a trade-off of course. It's a wonderful feeling to wear a thin suit. I personally always wear some kind of an all-over ...I don't like shorties. Diving warm water water (75F +) many can get by with a 3mm suit.

One last thought: in really nice, warm water, instead of a skin, Scubapro and some others make a really thin, true neoprene suit. It's either 1mm or .5mm. Minimal warm, but still considerably more than a skin, which is just a nylon or Lycra stretchy thing.

Here is my personal guide for diving 2 dives on a warm sunny day. More dives than that and I have to beef up the neoprene or I get chilled. If it is cold during the SI, I have to beef if up.

Everyone is different. FYI: I wear a hood and gloves anytime temp is below 70f

<40 cyber-dive.
40-50 Go dry, I can dive once wet, but dives are short
50-68 7MM
59-68 5MM
69-79 3MM
80+ Skin

From another grumpy old guy . . .

. . . wear your thickest wetsuit into the coldest water you want to dive, and iffen ya git cold, buy yerself a thicker one !!!

We each have different physiologies . . . what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

the K

From another grumpy old guy . . .

. . . wear your thickest wetsuit into the coldest water you want to dive, and iffen ya git cold, buy yerself a thicker one !!!

We each have different physiologies . . . what works for one won't necessarily work for another.

the K

You beat me to it.

Buy whatever you need to buy to keep yourself warm.

One thing to bear in mind when thinking about which suit to buy- because a custom wetsuit fits so well, you will experience much less flow-through than on a similar, off-the-rack suit. I can dive much later into the year in my Otter Bay wetsuit than I ever could in anything else, simply because it fits me, not some computerized generalization of what extra-large should be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom