wetsuit thickness / weights table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No table that I know of. It's so dependent on each diver's body type and natural buoyancy characteristics as well as the other equipment the diver is using that it's just not possible to make a table. However, you ask
...what amount of additional weight would be recommended
so my question to you is "in addition to what?" What are your current weighting requirements, and what exposure protection is that based on? Will you change any other aspect of your gear configuration?

All things being equal. Meaning only the 3mm wetsuit is added. Figured it should have a relative buoyancy according to thickness and full suit.

Currently with no wetsuit I use 6lbs. So with just adding the 3mm full wetsuit, was wondering how much weight more or less would be added. at least as a starting point prior to fine tuning.

One major variable is the size of the wetsuit. I measure the buoyancy of all my neoprene. My XXL 3/2mm jumpsuit takes 7 lb. My wife's 3mm Med suit takes 5 lb.

A few other points: My 5mm takes 13 lb while my wife's 5mm (both Henderson GC) takes 10 lb. My 3mm shorty takes 4 lb.

Making the measure is quite easy - A bag of lead weights and a swimming pool. Takes all the guesswork out of changing exposure protection.

Bioprene (bodyfat) is another factor many people don't consider.
The type of neoprene is another consideration.
Very soft neoprene that crushes easy will require less weight than dense neoprene.

I have several wetsuits. All these suits are used with a 4 lb plate, steel 100, basic harness, and a regular SP-MK 5 brass reg with 2 metal 2nds (no lightweight titanium), and no ankle weights <--- this gear will be the constant in the equation.
The first suit is a cheapo 7 mil one piece with a hooded vest (5 mil with 7 mil hood) and I need 12 lb weightbelt
Second suit is a 7 mil custom two piece beaver tail made from dense material and it needs 22 lb weightbelt.
The third suit is a 1/2" (13mm) custom two piece beaver tail made from Rubatex G231 (best stuff ever made) and I need 34 lb weightbelt

Someone else might need more or less with with these same suits with same amount of square inches per suit using the same exact dive equipment.

I'm xxl, went from a relatively crushed neoprene 3 mm with no weights to 6lbs in a bare 5mm. Just giving you some ideas.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
AWAP makes an important point. The size of the suit corresponds to the relative volume of neoprene material used, just as much, if not more so, than the thickness.

Size + thickness would have specific buoyancy. Add some small deviation amongst manufacturers, who may use slightly different neoprene materials etc.

If in doubt, tie the wetsuit into a roll with string and see how many weights it takes to (just) sink it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom