Wetsuit under dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to the logic here, I should light a small fire in my house. The small fire is not as bad as a big fire so therefore, it "plays a role" in not being a big fire. If my house burns down, it must have changed into a big fire and therefore the small fire is not to blame.

Now everyone go grab your matches and get to it.

If you put in a little warm water (think warm bathtub) in your wet suit prior to the dip, it will not draw heat from your body. It (any water) will act as thermal storage if contained. It will not insulate you, or make your suit smell. You can extend your time at the same body temp, since your body will not lose heat initially "heating" the water in the suit. Original question was answered. I think I may forgo the fire also..

wet suit will compresss at depth same as if it was wet,you are not diving in a 1atmosphere suit in a dry suit..the thicker the suit the more thermal barrier you have,as you descend the suit gets thinner/compressed and you have less thermal barrier-good reason why if in colder deeper water to use thicker suit--neoprene does not make you warm nor does the water in it- you are the heat maker ..All a wet suit does is minimize your heat loss through it thermal barrier capabilities(little bubbles in suit act as insulator-bubbles compress-less insulation ,has to fit properly so that very minimal water exchange takes place for you can only heat up so much cold water that enter suit before you get cold..

My bilaminate suit has been leaking alot on the past few dives (zipper). This afternoon I tried wearing a $7 3mm one-piece wetsuit under it to try and keep the water off my skin. I wore my usual old-style Viking blue undergarment over the wetsuit. I was alot more bouyant than I expected underwater and since it was a shallow dive, I couldn't pump much air into the suit without floating up. Because of this, my drysuit leaked alot more than usual. I wasn't cold or anything, but even without the wetsuit, the leaks don't really bother me. I don't even notice the water in my suit until I leave the water. I might try adding abit more weight next time and seeing if it's noticeably warmer.

Back
Top Bottom