Wetsuit under dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish:
Normally, I would bet on NYC over California in a logic battle, but on this one - someone from the "land of fruits and nuts" has it dead on.

Disclamer: "Land of fruits and nuts" refers to the tremendous production of food from California, which involves a large number of fruits (oranges, for example) and nuts (almonds, for example), any other use of this expression was neither intended nor implied.

LOL. I agree AGAIN but remember, I'm not trying to prove that THEY are wrong becasue they aren't. I'm just trying to prove that I am not wrong, even if my battle is only for a kernel of truth. My logic that the original trapped layer if water plays a role isn't flawed. If it were flawed, then we would want constant water flow, but we don't.:05:

Divemark500 speaks the truth! Congrats gents! :D

*SIGH* guess I'll have to go elsewhere to look for someone to recommend for a 5-day banning --sulks off--
Ber :lilbunny:

scubadobadoo:
LOL. I agree AGAIN but remember, I'm not trying to prove that THEY are wrong becasue they aren't. I'm just trying to prove that I am not wrong, even if my battle is only for a kernel of truth. My logic that the original trapped layer if water plays a role isn't flawed. If it were flawed, then we would want constant water flow, but we don't.:05:

Divemark500 speaks the truth! Congrats gents! :D
You are right. To top it, you were right from the beginning when saying that the suit doesn't keep you warm but the water does. Feel better now? :D
FWIW, my semi-dry suit fits so well that it does have dry spots when taking it off. :wink:

aquaoren:
FWIW, my semi-dry suit fits so well that it does have dry spots when taking it off. :wink:
You must be very cold if there is no water there :wink:

aquaoren:
You are right. To top it, you were right from the beginning when saying that the suit doesn't keep you warm but the water does. Feel better now? :D
:wink:

Now now, I was wrong at the start but thanks for your kindness. I once again I refer you to post #21. :05:

aquaoren:

That's because it was designed to do axactly that. keep you semi-dry. It's not called a semi-wet suit or even a wet suit. LOL. I'm just teasing. I can't believe we got through this without anyone bringing up peeing in your wet suit to stay warmer...NO DON'T! LOL.:D

JeffG:
You must be very cold if there is no water there :wink:
You are still arguing what you choose to and not what I am. You know I don't think that the water alone keeps you warm and that I realize that it is a heat drain. You can't read past the first page of posts Jeff. Nonetheless, it's there and it is better trapped and is therefore important and plays a role only when using a WET suit because water ENTERS! It can't be stopped. The trapped water in a wet suit does slow heat loss assuming it stays trapped--when comparing it to the new and colder water that could enter if it weren't trapped. Fact.

scubadobadoo:
You are still arguing what you choose to and not what I am.
No...I was making a joke...Get over it.

scubadobadoo:
You are still arguing what you choose to and not what I am. You know I don't think that the water alone keeps you warm and that I realize that it is a heat drain. You can't read past the first page of posts Jeff. Nonetheless, it's there and it is better trapped and is therefore important and plays a role only when using a WET suit because water ENTERS! It can't be stopped. The trapped water in a wet suit does slow heat loss assuming it stays trapped--when comparing it to the new and colder water that could enter if it weren't trapped. Fact.
Semi dry=semi wet. Since it's not a dry suit, it has to be a wet suit unless it's a hydrochloric acid suit, which would still make it a wet suit as the acid was "wet" last time I checked. :wink:
Let me try to explain it again with simple words. It's not the ability of the water to get trapped in the suit that reduces the heat loss but the ability of the suit to trap that same water that reduces the heat loss. So, the important factor here isn't the water that is trapped but the suit that reduces the flow.
To answer your question: I'd rather not have water at all in my suit or as little as possible. According to your logic, the more water would be trapped in the suit, the warmer you'll get which is simply untrue as you'll be warmer with less water getting in your suit.
Damn, I can't believe, I got caught in this thread.:icon_roll

scubadobadoo:
The neoprene itself doesn't keep you warm. It's the water that is trapped between your body and the neoprene that is heated by YOU that keeps you from freezing to death sooner than you would without the wet suit.
This is actually a long running myth. It's the air trapped in the neoprene that keeps you warm. An ideal wetsuit would not let any water inside between your skin and the suit - in fact, it would be a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom