Wetsuit under dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wardric:
Good example:D I had a little leak in my drysuit last week in 41 F water and that trapped water sure didn't get my feet warm. Aquaseal to the rescue:05:

That's because a dry suit and a wet suit aren't designed to work in the same manner. Apples and oranges. The wet suit is however designed to help keep you warm WHILE you are wet.

Perhaps if you were using thinsulate instead of fleece you would have been warmer with your leak. A dry suit doesn't keep you warm, the undies do. Even if your neoprene dry suit flooded, I agree that the trapped layer of water wouldn't help much BECAUSE THE DRY SUIT IS NOT AS TIGHT AND IS THEREFORE NOT DESIGNED THE SAME WAY. The wet suit is designed to deal with the trapped layer of water. A wet suit allows only a small amount of water to enter, this smaller amount will rob less heat from your body because it isn't flowing freely like the water would in a floppy dry suit.

A wet suit does keep you warm, a fact that I have agreed with many times. In addition, that original trapped layer of water also helps and this is my point. The layer is "BETTER" than free flowing water therefore logically it is helping, granted the wet suit is doing most of the work. Water flooded in a dry suit isn't like water in a wet suit because the dry suit isn't tight like the wet suit so that water in the dry suit is virtually the same as free flowing water.

wardric:

I agree. I agree. It's correct ofcourse BUT you can't stop the water from entering so once it does it's better to trap it. I don't care what kind of NEW materials they claim they are using. The wet suit will still let water in, or they wouldn't call it a wet suit.

"The less water entering a wet or dry suit, the warmer it will be." I agree. Makes PERFECT sense. I'm not arguing this for the 4000th time. They never stated that water won't enter but rather they use the word LESS. It's going to enter, so do you want the original layer to stay or do you always want a new one to replace it? If you say you want the original one then it is playing a role.

It does seem however that you made some copy/paste of this article previously. They dont say however that the water keeps you warm, only that trapping it slows the heat loss (and not prevent it)

wardric:
They dont say however that the water keeps you warm, only that trapping it slows the heat loss (and not prevent it)

YOU GOT IT. The only point I have been trying to make for some time now!!! It SLOWS it. I NEVER stated that it keeps you warmer. I have stated that exposure suits don't keep you WARM or WARMER, they only keep you from loosing heat LONGER. Trapping is part of that and because that water layer is what is being traped, IT PLAYS A ROLE in heat loss. Thank you for your patience wardric.

Normally, I would bet on NYC over California in a logic battle, but on this one - someone from the "land of fruits and nuts" has it dead on.

Disclamer: "Land of fruits and nuts" refers to the tremendous production of food from California, which involves a large number of fruits (oranges, for example) and nuts (almonds, for example), any other use of this expression was neither intended nor implied.

I commend Scubadooboo and Humma guy for their restraint in this discussion. Not a negative ad hominem comment anywhere in the posts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom