Wetsuits of old were a boon to a ladie's figure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barbara

Reaction score
My friend's older sister (about 53) came for a visit last weekend and we all went north to the Florida springs to do some diving since it was so gray in South Fl. Now this gal had not been diving for about 20 years and she still had her wetsuit that was only worn a few times from about 1983. She had been married since and divorced. She was an active diver out in California until her marraige in 1983. Her husband was a diver but had to quit early on because of ear problems. Well, to make a long story short, she had to give up diving shortly after her marraige as she mothered 3 children over the next 10 years and her husband and her got into other activities, like golf and hiking and snow skiing. He apparantly began a mid-life crisis a few tears ago and left her for a youinger model (29). Well this gal began getting herself into better shape than she has ever been in and actually could fit into that wetsuit! This wetsuit is a silver two piece that zippered up the front with beaver tail clasps and even has a matching hood and booties! She definately was getting all the male attention at the springs that day!

What has happened to women's wetsuits in the last ten years? These suits that zip up the back are so form erasing. The old suits acented a woman's anatomy in such a more complementary way. Also, the colors and styles today are so similar for men and women. My point is this. Other sports apparal such as those for skiing , work-out or even sky diving are much more stylish for men and women. Women can get ski- suits that are sexy if they want to or not. Wetsuits today have become drab and sexless. We discussed this on the way home. The only conclusion is that the dive industry doesn't want divers, men or women, to become too distracted by the opposite sex while underwater. I however never heard of any dive mishaps underwater because someone was watching the opposite sex in a sexy wetsuit and forgot to monitor their air supply or bottom time.

I have been frustrated with the one look fits all attitude that the manufacturers all seem to have now. I would like to have options. Color would be nice when done right.

I'm your basic black fan.

When I was a teenager & went down hill skiing, I searched high & low for solid black ski clothes. Very hard to find.
Many years later, when I started diving, I ordered an all black wet suit. It arrived w/ purple & blue trim. My LDS told me that solid black was not being made f/ this style.(even though that was what the model had on in the picture)

I like black. Black car, black clothes, black dog. But not everyone does. If you like pink, red, orange etc... you should be able to get it.

And I am all for a better fitting wet suit. I'm short but kinda busty. I'd like it if I could get the arm & leg length to fit and not be smashed flat, in the chest area, in the process. Now, I'm not looking to be Pamela Lee, in some sexy dive get up. I just want the darn thing to fit my figure.

Kat:
And I am all for a better fitting wet suit. I'm short but kinda busty. I'd like it if I could get the arm & leg length to fit and not be smashed flat, in the chest area, in the process. Now, I'm not looking to be Pamela Lee, in some sexy dive get up. I just want the darn thing to fit my figure.

Look into a custom cut suit. "Smashed flat" in the chest area indicates restricted breathing. This is NOT a good thing underwater! IMNSHO the safety issue invloved in getting a suit that fits far outweighs any vanity or advertising issues, but those are good side benefits.

Several companies make them. I've had good luck with Henderson for men's suits but there are a few good internet based vendors as well. Liquid Fit is one that has gotten good reviews form ladies with similar issues in the past. Just be sure you provide all the necessary measurements. Any outfit that tries to force a fit with under 15- 20 measurements for a full suit is doing too much "assuming" for me to be comfortable with expecting a suit that actually fits to fall out the other end.

FT

I love the beaver tail style. Wish mine still fit. Oh well, someday as I'm working on losing.

IMHO It's the best style for a woman with hips. Forget the step in style or short ones where the zipper is on the leg - hips just don't like 'em. But the beaver tail top on, pull it above the hips to start the zippering process, pull it down into place and wa-la! (sp?)

Paula

When I first started diving in the mid to late 80s there were these french cut, one- piece women's wetsuits that zippered up the front just about to the mid cleavage area. I quess it would be considered to be too sexy by today's standards

Barbara,

That french cut wetsuit sounds like it was a show stopper.:wink:
Who would have thought we'd be so conservative 15 years later.

FredT,

Your right about the 'smashed flat' restricting your breathing. If I put on a little weight-I can't dive in it. So, it's just another good reason to stick to my diet.:crying2:

If your looking for color, may I suggest that you check out all the new colors of Liquid Fit. I'm thinking of ordering a new suit, but picking the color is a problem. I'm normally not that fond of pink, but there is a beautiful mauve. Then again, I like the amethyst, silver, metal, emerald green, copper, gold, teal, navy, red. Decisions, decisions!!!!!

I purchased a Scubapro wetsuit a couple of years ago only because the panels were cut so it accentuated my figure and looked sexy. I purchased my neoprene drysuit for the very same reason. After all how sexy is a "shell bag suit" on the female form?

One of the big problems with diving is that everytime a female is portrayed as "sexy" or "attractive" The Gear Manufacturer or the Magazine or whatever gets lambased by the vocal minority.

Much of the reality is however that Neoprene has changed over the years and suits of old often needed to be custom cut to fit because the material itself was much less stretchy than what the current material is and I really think that may be the biggest reason.

Julie

I would also like to see more women's wetsuit options. Something beyond the basic black/gray with maybe a few stripes of color. I think (hope!) I'm past the phase of needing to look "sexy" out there; but couldn't the wetsuit people make something more cheerful and attractive?

I've looked at quite a few web sites including several custom places, and I'm not seeing what I have in mind.

Are any manufacturers listening?

Back
Top Bottom