Wetsuits of old were a boon to a ladie's figure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexan:
exactly why did wetsuit manufacturers start going to the back-zip wetsuits?

I beleive it was a crossover from the suits that they were making for Surfing.

I personally prefer the back zipper and I don't find them difficult at all. Not sure why others do. If you can touch the back of your neck you should be able to zip them up with no problem.

They are also easier for many people to get out of than what the front zipper suits were. Although if you have a front zipper suit with a beaver tail all you had to do was grab the lower front corners of the suit and and move your arms backward and up over your head to easily remove the suit.

Julie

Here's an old joke that has circulated for quite some time but I thought it was appropriate for this thread..

One day a Scotsman, who has been stranded on a desert Island for over 10 years, Sees an unusual speck on the horizon. "it's certainly not a ship," he thinks to himself.

As the speck gets closer and closer, he begins to rule out the possibilities of a small boat, then even a raft.

Suddenly, emerging from the surf comes a drop-dead gorgeous blonde woman wearing a wetsuit and scuba gear. She approaches the stunned man and says to him, "Tell me how long has it been since you've had a cigarette?"

"Ten years," replies the Scot

With that, she reaches over and unzips a waterproof pocket on her left sleeve and pulls out a pack of cigarettes, He takes one, lights it and takes a long drag and says, "Achh, that is splendid!"

"And how long has it been since you've had a sip of good malt scotch?" she purrs.

Trembling, the castaway replies, "ten years."

She reaches over, and unzips her right sleeve, pulls out a flask and hands it to him. He opens the flask, Takes a long swig and says, "oh by God, it's absolutely fantastic!"

At this point she starts slowly unzippiing the long zipper that runs down the front of her wet suit.

She looks sinfully at the man and asks huskily, "And how long has it been since you've played around?

With tears in his eyes, the big scot falls to his knees and sobs, "Oh, sweet Jesus! Don't tell me you've got golf clubs in there too!"

Julie

We need more color options!! My husband is always laughing at me because I like to color coordinate. I feel very limited in this regard when buying scuba equipment. Let the guys keep the black stuff if they want.

JulieParkhurst:
Here's an old joke that has circulated for quite some time but I thought it was appropriate for this thread..

One day a Scotsman, who has been stranded on a desert Island for over 10 years, Sees an unusual speck on the horizon. "it's certainly not a ship," he thinks to himself.

As the speck gets closer and closer, he begins to rule out the possibilities of a small boat, then even a raft.

Suddenly, emerging from the surf comes a drop-dead gorgeous blonde woman wearing a wetsuit and scuba gear. She approaches the stunned man and says to him, "Tell me how long has it been since you've had a cigarette?"

"Ten years," replies the Scot

With that, she reaches over and unzips a waterproof pocket on her left sleeve and pulls out a pack of cigarettes, He takes one, lights it and takes a long drag and says, "Achh, that is splendid!"

"And how long has it been since you've had a sip of good malt scotch?" she purrs.

Trembling, the castaway replies, "ten years."

She reaches over, and unzips her right sleeve, pulls out a flask and hands it to him. He opens the flask, Takes a long swig and says, "oh by God, it's absolutely fantastic!"

At this point she starts slowly unzippiing the long zipper that runs down the front of her wet suit.

She looks sinfully at the man and asks huskily, "And how long has it been since you've played around?

With tears in his eyes, the big scot falls to his knees and sobs, "Oh, sweet Jesus! Don't tell me you've got golf clubs in there too!"

Julie

Julie,
I don't get it! Were they Taylor Made or Pings? :54:

Excellent joke Julie!! You gotta give it to them Scotsman.......Golf above ANYTHING else!!

Hi,
If you want a French Cut wetsuit, check out CAMERO (or CAMARO) out of Austria. They have a whole line of really sharp suits to choose from. Unfortunately, they are the devil to find in America.
I smiled at the comments regarding being sexy and the vocal minority. Every time a start up magazine appears with (OMG!) girls in it, the vocal minority goes totally nuts. Folks need to get a grip! Unfortunately, the rest of us tend to keep quiet and the magazines fade away.
I think this may indirectly drive the SCUBA industry. SURFING magazines don't suffer from this scrutiny (sp) so manufacturers tend to design appealing clothing. Could the difference in relative ages be the reason? I donno. But I do know that whenever someone shows something daring related to SCUBA, the same band of prudes roll out the 'family sport' arguement or the 'women don't want to be exploited' arguement and women are forced back into boring styles.
Okay, will climb off my soapbox now. Just my observations.

Hoya97:
Hi,

I smiled at the comments regarding being sexy and the vocal minority. Every time a start up magazine appears with (OMG!) girls in it, the vocal minority goes totally nuts. Folks need to get a grip! Unfortunately, the rest of us tend to keep quiet and the magazines fade away.
I think this may indirectly drive the SCUBA industry. SURFING magazines don't suffer from this scrutiny (sp) so manufacturers tend to design appealing clothing. Could the difference in relative ages be the reason? I donno. But I do know that whenever someone shows something daring related to SCUBA, the same band of prudes roll out the 'family sport' arguement or the 'women don't want to be exploited' arguement and women are forced back into boring styles.
Okay, will climb off my soapbox now. Just my observations.

Yeah but, you have to admit that the girl in the mag in the wetsuit doesn't look like the average girl that dives. :eek:gle: I always thought that if you buy that suit you will look like that girl LOL. Needless to say I have bought several wetsuits with no luck on looking like the girl or the wetsuit fitting like I think it should IMO.
I guess if the mags had a pic of an average looking girl either:
1. The wetsuit wouldn't (fit as in my case)
2. Manufacturer would sell any suits (no sex appeal) :gr1:
:D

Dear Parrotheaddiver,
It isn't about looking like the girl on the cover, far from it. My point is that every time someone makes any connection between SCUBA and APPEALING, there seems to be a moralistic outcry from the moral minority.
To be sure, the girls on the cover are all very beautiful and very young - standard marketing techniques. But when DIVER magazine ran articles about good times, good looking people and SCUBA all in the same paragraph, they almost had to establish their own zip code for all the hate mail they received.
My 45 yo wife dives and while I consider her extremely beautiful, she isn't a model. But she too bemoans the fact that a) suits don't fit (5'4" 125lbs but with very femine hips) and b) nothing is flattering - all basic black or variations thereto.
I don't have the answers; geez, I'm still in search of the questions. But one thing I'm pretty sure of, SCUBA manufacturers are missing the fashion boat when it comes to suit construction and style.

Yeah I was kidding of course about all of us looking like the model. I too am an "old" diver 53 and even though I am 5'7" 130lbs none of the wetsuits fit perfect off the rack. If it fits my body the neck is too tight and the arms and legs are too short. If I get it long enough the body is too big and water flows through like a funnel. I used to wear a polartec it was perfect for tropical diving but it has worn out and they are hard to find and when you do find them they're expensive. The new hyper stretch they are advertising now has a lot more stretch to it and fits better but if velcro touches it it makes the suit look bad. They are expensive as well. My search is still on. I have tried on a lot of suits and have yet to purchase another one. When I do find that perfect suit I am going to buy two one that fits and one a size larger. Those darm suits shrink over time.
I totally agree with you regarding scuba mfg missing the boat. We could get into another issue swimsuits :scared: but I'm not going there. :laughing: :happywave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom