Wetsuits - Where to get Best Value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n733lk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
As a newbie, I'm finding soooo many things to spend money on, my head is swimming!

Obviously, I need a wetsuit. However, I don't feel the need to buy the "best", I want something that will work, be comfortable, and still leave me with some change in my pocket.

Where is the best place to find good deals? I'm looking for a Mens 3mm Full, probably sized XLS.

Thanks!

Go to the Gear/Equipment advertisements on this ScubaBoard. I just bought a wetsuit last week through SB. My last one is torn up from 200 jetty dives and I found a great deal on a 7mm Farmer John.

Try your Local Dive Shop
- many times they will sell you used gear - even a wetsuit (it's where I got my first one - and it was like new). My LDS also has regular sales - sometimes they are big events and have great deals.

The internet. I really don't recommend Ebay, unless you know exactly the brand and size you are looking for. LeisurePro, however, can advise you very well over the phone concerning sizes, and if you get the wrong size they have a guarantee that you don't have to pay shipping again - they call it "stress free" and I have used it and got a great hooded vest a while back - sent back a too small one and a "funny fitting" one and got a great one - and this was on a $80.00 product that they paid postage on all but the first. CraigsList is fine as you can go "try it on". But you have to be careful and really know how much to pay for such a thing.

Last edited:
I figure good wetsuits can be had prices low enough new and last so long that why buy used unless you're truly hard up. (Initially buying a whole scuba setup is sort of a shock, but remember that you're likely, over the life of the gear, to spend more on trips, air, service, etc., and there are much more expensive hobbies.)

If buying new, I see it as choosing one of two ways, considering that different makers and different lines fit differently, sometimes a lot differently. So you buy from the local shop where you can try them on, or you buy online and be prepared to send one or more back to try another. The local shop had a sale, and it was almost to the dollar for the same suit online. For rock bottom down and dirty new, I've used TommyDSports. They're okay. I doubt, though, that there's any long term savings, since you normally get what you pay for, and they don't have scuff guards on knees and such.

It wouldn't bother me to ask a shop if they could meet or come close to the online price - of course, that would be before I took up their time trying them on for size. I have to pay the postage back for any exchange, and there's the nuisance, so it's a reasonable risk exchange to buy local. For reference, I'm talking about a Henderson 3mm Thermoprene jumpsuit, close to $200 online and my local sale price.

When buying rubber products (nudge-nudge-wink-wink), one really should know the age of the material, which seems to me a reasonable argument for new wetsuits.

Like most things, some of the best buys are black Friday. You might try seavenger.

I buy my wetsuits from wetsuitwarehouse.com most of the time. In fact, of the 8 or so I own, only 1 was bought somewhere else. I have the benefit of knowing which brands fit me well, though. They do have a great return policy if it doesn't fit though, as long as it hasn't gotten wet.

www.Diverightinscuba.com Contact them and speak to mike. Excellent customer service extremly knowledgeable and he is willing to work with customers

www.Scubatoys.com is also a great place to buy gear and will also work with there customers.

www.Leisurepro.com is another good site that will have good deals.

other than that look here on SB. and possibly call around to a few of your LDS.

My buddy looked at Henderson and wound up buying a Tilos with their "Ti" lining. I think it lasted 4 years - one of the shoulder seams is just now coming apart.

Have your friend mend it with some neoprene cement. Then it can last another 4 years!
Seriously though, the manufacturers skimp out when applying that stuff.

Leisure pro! They have a worry-free policy so that if you got the wrong size, no problem, ship it back without issue. But if you measure yourself correctly, as long as your measurements aren't "out of the norm", you can get a really nice stock suit for very reasonable.

Good luck,
Skarn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom