Whale Shark Diving - Mid August - Info Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkornfeld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are most trips just one day out of the mainland? Are there multiple day options? Do folks have recommendations on operators? Its me and my son - 19 years - been diving 7 years. Have our advanced cert too.

I've traveled over to Holbox & and also have gone from Isla Mujeres to swim/snorkle with the Whalesharks. IMHO it's more crowded in IM, but the water is clearer and you can see more - what you're going for, right? Holbox doesn't have the crush of tourists, so everything is slower and smaller. But the water was murkier & the boat ride was l-o-n-g. Town is very charming though... no cars, sandy streets. I was referred by my little hotels for ops both times and was happy. I think most trips are the same. You get to snorkle the reefs at the end in IM if you want. It's a day trip.

One tip: along with your own mask, snorkel, fins, take a shortie with you. Then you won't have to wear one of those cumbersome life vests. I have a neoprene vest I use for warmth when diving in the winter and sun protection in the summer for snorkeling & that was acceptable. Sheesh, I felt for the people that had to wear those big orange vests... the whale sharks swim surprisingly fast and you are working to keep up. Have a great time - it's impossible not to! :)

One tip: along with your own mask, snorkel, fins, take a shortie with you. Then you won't have to wear one of those cumbersome life vests.
A shortie neoprene suit will work fine, or we wore shorties without neoprene with snorkel vests so we didn't have to wear the cumbersome vests. It's difficult enough to keep up with those big fish without the extra drag.

Or to Indonesia in Cendrawasih Bay, Papua (diving with whaleshark that is)
Snorkeling with whaleshark in Holbox was cool, but the water was cold (70F), back in July 2011. I'm going to do it from Isla Mujeres next month. I hope it's a bit warmer.

I went with Cancun Whale Shark Tours back in July 2011 & had a lot of fun. Back then the owner is more known as Whaleshark Daddy.

Next month, I'll be going with Scuba Dive Isla Mujeres My group will charter 2 private boat for 13 of us (6 in one boat & 7 on the other boat) on August 14. Each boat can take up to 10. If anyone wants to joint our boat, you are welcome. We plan to split the charter cost evenly to everyone. So there are 7 spots available to fill in.

Has anyone been diving with Aqua Adventures?

Last edited:
Or the Maldives, not guaranteed but it does happen. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom