whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yigu:
YES!, I have just come back from Barra, Inhambane, Mozambique.

I have dived with two whale sharks... the first one about 7m ... the second about 9m! ... huge, perfect, beautiful ... great experience!!!

The season for whale sharks runs there from October to March. From April to September they have the humpback whales...

And of course, the world famous MANTA REEF!!! whre you can see three manta cleaning stations... something incredible!

Good luck !

Yigu

Welcome to the board YIGU!
I have been to South Africa and I'm planning on going back to visit again in a couple of years. I've dove at Sodwanna but would also like to get to Moz. to dive. I have friends that live near Whitriver that have dove Moz.
How is the visibility where you dive with Mantas and Whale Sharks?

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

sjspeck:
From what I've heard the most reliable encounters are at Ningaloo, Utila and Belize. . . .
Steve

I've had VERY good luck with whale sharks in Utila in season (Jan through Mar, I think: February for me). I highly recommend Laguna Beach Resort as the most habitable place to stay and dive for the reasons reported in Undercurrent in 2003.

KeSha P:
Can any one tell me where the best place is to dive with whale sharks and if there are any land based companies that have this as their specialty...

Need a new place to travel too..
I just got back from diving in Utila, Honduras. Happened to do some snorkeling with a couple of Whale sharks. Check out Deep Blue Divers. I believe they have a website with quite a bit of information.

Check utilalodge.com in Honduras. We were there last Jan and had a great time. We were about 2 weeks too early to see lots of Whale Sharks but friends of mine went in early Feb and saw several on 5 out of the 6 days they dove. If you are lucky enough to get Willie for a Capt he will find them if they are any to be found. I swear the guy can smell them.

KeSha P:
Can any one tell me where the best place is to dive with whale sharks and if there are any land based companies that have this as their specialty...

Need a new place to travel too..

Hi KeSha P,

I was in Utila the first week of april and was lucky enough to snorkel with a whale shark (it was unforgettable!). From what I've heard, Utila is a very good place to see whale sharks (we have seen just one in a 9 day diving --you have to go dive on the north side to see them) and your best chances are from february to may so the season is ending soon.
I have dived with both deep blue divers (Louis is a great DM!) and BICD and they were both very good.

Like the other posts says, I've heard Galapagos have great chances to see whale sharks + almost sure to see hammerheads and mantas but as you probably know, that's in the major league of diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom