whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeSha P

Reaction score
Can any one tell me where the best place is to dive with whale sharks and if there are any land based companies that have this as their specialty...

Need a new place to travel too..

I have no idea whether these guys are any good, but I happened to stumble on this webpage earlier today (while looking for a dive shop in San Francisco, of all things): http://www.sharkdiver.com/package_whalesharks.html

If you go, let me know how it turns out!

KeSha P:
Can any one tell me where the best place is to dive with whale sharks and if there are any land based companies that have this as their specialty...

KeSha P:

Exmouth/Ningaloo Reef, Australia
Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras
Gladden Spit, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Socorro Island, Baja, Mexico (liveaboard only)
Isla Holbox near Cancun/Cozumel, Mexico
Cocos Island, off the coast of Costa Rica

Google Whale Shark Diving for info about specific locations/companies. There are several that specialize in this. From what I've heard the most reliable encounters are at Ningaloo, Utila and Belize. There's even a research facility based in Ningaloo, so it must be a pretty common occurence there.

It's on my must do dive list also,

Steve

KeSha P:

The most whaleshrks that I've heard of while diving would be in the Galapogos during June - July on a liveaboard. There is also certain times ayear when the whalsrks show up in the Sechelles off Africas east coast.

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic

Whalesharks are common at Ningaloo reef, Western Australia, March through to Late June or July. Zerovisibility will be visiting around this time hoping to see humpbacks too... ;-)

You can also seem them in the Maldives fairly regularly at certain times of year. South Ari Atoll is great. See here for information. The Seychelles have a whale shark research place too.

Hope this helps!

Read this news article for a new website that can tell you what to see and when.
http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/News/NewsDec1.htm

One small revision on whale sharks at Ningaloo - March is TOO EARLY! We expect the very first of the season in the very last days of March OR first few days of April and then they get steady for the season. April is an OK time to visit, but also the busiest. When I advise friends & family I say head for mid May through the end of June - slower sharks, more mantas and early arriving humpbacks plus weather patterns that allow access to the widest range of areas for diving.

I'm always here to answer questions on diving in WA - pop me a PM.

october and april here in Mexico, but there are few operators and the business is just starting up really.

KeSha P:

YES!, I have just come back from Barra, Inhambane, Mozambique.

I have dived with two whale sharks... the first one about 7m ... the second about 9m! ... huge, perfect, beautiful ... great experience!!!

The season for whale sharks runs there from October to March. From April to September they have the humpback whales...

And of course, the world famous MANTA REEF!!! whre you can see three manta cleaning stations... something incredible!

Good luck !

Yigu

Hey Kesha P

You might wanna check out www.wsorc.com it's a new web site under construction, but it should give you an idea.. It is for the Whaleshark and Oceanic Research Center and is located in association with Bay Island College of Diving.

They are building a brand new HUGE research center at the moment..!!!

Hope this will help you out...

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom