Whale Swim operators Tonga - illegal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sipadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I spent sometime in Tonga doing whale swims there - mainly in Eua and Ha'apai.

While I was there I received disturbing news of some whale swim operators - and problems when divers who pre-booked trips with them and face problems.

There was a notable Japanese national who was operating whale swim operations there. He also runs operations in other parts of the region. While i was in Tonga he approached me and offered whale swim packages.

I did some due diligence on his operation and made enquires but the news was not favourable.

The information I received on Masa Takashima is mostly via private correspondence with various individuals and I don't think I can publish them here.

But I found something available online in public domain.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Show...h_Dive_Tours-Nuku_alofa_Tongatapu_Island.html

As to why I am bringing this up… When I returned back home I was troubled because some of my other friends were approached by the same operator. And without knowing better they trusted him.

Please see link above.

I wish to highlight the issues of non-licensed whale and dive operators in Tonga and advise all members to exercise caution when booking trips.

Reactions: Jay
You would think that if the local officials REALLY wanted to stop this Con Man they could.

I heard that there were some attempts to shut him down. But he still continues to operate and posts big billboards in the airport and hotels.

There has been legal action taken against Takashima in Tongan courts.

But its a Pacific Island, things move Tongan-style.

Last edited:
This is Masa Takashima He is dive coordinator in Tonga Tapu & Eua & Vavau more than 15 years - Picture of Tonga Dive Centre, Nuku'alofa - TripAdvisor

I just heard that he attempted to persuade more divers from Singapore to join his whale swim. One of them is my friend. And that annoys me.

Pardon me mods, But I just want to sound this off.

So Masa Takashima is a Japanese guy operating whale swim tours in Tonga. He doesn't have a license. He also tries to take money from divers during ADEX and TDEX and sells them whale swim packages in Tonga.

Problem is he doesn't have a valid license and he tries to outsource the whale swim to other operators in Tonga whom he may not pay.

One Tonga whaleswim operator who is also a notable Aussie diver lost $20,000 to Masa Takashima.

He has also taken Thai divers of their money but failed to deliver when they arrived in Tonga.

Please avoid using his services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom