Do whales come in the Gulf of Mexico?

• Yes, I believe whales do come into the Gulf of Mexico

Votes: 19 95.0%
  • No, I do not believe whales come into the Gulf of Mexico

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw some kind of whale a last summer at Alabama Point jetties while I was snorkeling-freediving. After about a 30 sec dive I surfaced,then turn my head back around and I saw a big something swimming towards me. My first thought : SHARK ,but I didn't see a dorsal fin( maybe missed some small one) It was swimming calmly and slowly right next to me and it didn't care about me even when I put my hand on its body. It just kept swimming.I remember his eye looking at me......then I started screaming-it was just unbelievable.

Grey-brown colour,a lot of bumps and scars on its about 12'-15' body. I also saw a vent on its back. I spent a few days in the public library and at the internet to find out what it was. But I give up. Still don't know.

Never heard of them coming so close(not to say they don't). I have heard of manatees running up the pass though...

There's an endemic population of sperm whales in the central gulf. I guess it can't really be said that they "come into the gulf" if they're always there.

JAN 1974:
SuPrBuGmAn:
Never heard of them coming so close(not to say they don't). I have heard of manatees running up the pass though...

I'v been swimming with manatees before. It definitely wasn't a manatee. This is my guess.....
http://www.acsonline.org/factpack/PygmySpermWhale.htm

Didn't one of them beach them self down by Flora Bama about a year or so ago?

For the last few years the Manatees (a small group) has came up into fowl river

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom