Whaling: Right or Wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:lol: you trouble maker you. :D

dlndavid:
Kim you are right, many do not understand what it is they actually do.
Eating a burger, turkey or ham, but a whale? It is a creatures of magnificance, a cow, pig, turkey or a chicken are not of this magnitude in the chain of life. Different cultures have different values, that is ALL. No right, no wrong. The world as a whole will figure this out one day and become one. Right now, we are not in that place, so opinions of such difference exist. I still like whale tails, and always stop to look.

Dave, if you are in front of a hungry lion or crocodile, I dont think he would mind your magificance or you magnitude in the chain of life, he would eat you all but your sombrero :wink:
magnitude is a very human, relative concept. That is why we overprotect (sometimes, not talking about whales here) some creature we find beautifull and dont give a dang about ugly (in a human sense) ones. we have teddy bears. but have you ever seen a teddy cod? a teddy seal on the other hand you see plenty. People want to protect the beautifull creatures but the not so pretty are as important to the ecosystem.

catherine96821:
Basically, if you feel sick watching whales go through a wood chipper, then, to some of us that means something.

do you eat cows? chickens? other fish? pigs?

both cows and pigs are mammals. pigs are REALLY smart mammals (really).

what's so special about whales?

(now, i agree that they were nearly hunted to extiction and they need protection
in taht respect. i'm just saying, why is it so much more inhuman to kill a whale
than to kill a pig?)

especially if you consider that medically or biologically speaking, pigs are much closer to humans than whales. In fact, they are closer to us than chimps I read somewhere.

if whales were not so close to extinction due to the destruction and pollution of their habitat, I wouldn't mind a broiled or blackened whale tail on rice, especially with chef Paul Prudhomme's famous cajun spices :)

Belugas are dissapearing in the St Lawrence river due to pollution. No hunting here, just toxic wastes. But I agree that an endangered specie should be protected.

wardric:
Dave, if you are in front of a hungry lion or crocodile, I dont think he would mind your magificance or you magnitude in the chain of life, he would eat you all but your sombrero :wink:
magnitude is a very human, relative concept. That is why we overprotect (sometimes, not talking about whales here) some creature we find beautifull and dont give a dang about ugly (in a human sense) ones. we have teddy bears. but have you ever seen a teddy cod? a teddy seal on the other hand you see plenty. People want to protect the beautifull creatures but the not so pretty are as important to the ecosystem.
I never said humans were magnificant, smart yes, but magnificant? Let me think about that one Eric. Any animal will eat what it has to, in order to maintain its life, what to eat is what makes it smart, don't need to throw in a pretty-ugly factor for that.
Myself, when possible, I save trees, I eat my fish raw, and as always, love to see a nice whale tail.

Hey don't I know you? :D

done any ice diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom