What 1st and 2nd stage regs to you have on your deco bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
I don't think that there is anything here I wouldn't consider except the Brut guy. Bruts are notorious for being very shallow water regs, and if you want this to grow to something that you would be using at 70ft. stay away.
You want something simple and low profile. The last thing that you want is to have it catching on you every time you try to take it off or put it on. If you are just starting and don't have the luxury of a used older reg, consider one of the already clean regs available:like OMS or the Oceanic. They are both open port pistons (simple design) and low profile with decent performance. I would say that DIN is strongly recommended.

I agree Brut's are shallow water regs. 70' is shallow water. They are incredibly reliable and extremely resistant to freezing. Brut's are definitely a simple diaphragm design and are quite small. The hoses route clean and tight against the deco bottle. My deepest stops are 80' and the Brut works fine at that depth. If you already have the reg, as was the case with me, there is no need to buy another reg for these shallow water purposes.

--Matt

Michael Freeman:
I'm setting up a pony bottle that I plan on using as a deco bottle in a deco/adv EANx class. I don't want to spend money on a 1st and 2nd stage reg set that can't grow into the deco bottle duties.

What type of regs do you use on your deco bottle?

Planning on buying an AL40 and slinging it as a pony to practice this configuration. Probably 130 ft max as a pony bottle, assume 70 ft mod as a deco bottle.

I'm not into tech classes yet so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

I have a MK2 / R190 on my 50% bottle and a Poseidon Xtreme on my 100%

matt_unique:
.... Brut's are definitely a simple diaphragm design and are quite small ...
--Matt

Matt - I think the work 'diaphragm' accidentally slipped in there. Brut's are piston first stage with a dry, gas filled chamber, between the piston and the outside water.

I have one that I use on a bailout bottle and it works just fine, but I wouldn't buy one for that purpose. Too many good O2 ready DIN regs on the market.

darkstar:
Matt - I think the work 'diaphragm' accidentally slipped in there. Brut's are piston first stage with a dry, gas filled chamber, between the piston and the outside water.

I have one that I use on a bailout bottle and it works just fine, but I wouldn't buy one for that purpose. Too many good O2 ready DIN regs on the market.

You are correct sir! Very polite of you - a little braincramp over here - the Brut is definitely a piston reg.

I would not go out and buy a Brut to be used for deco bottle purposes but having already had one in the gear bag it works just fine.

Is it Spring yet?

mlew:
I have a MK2 / R190 on my 50% bottle and a Poseidon Xtreme on my 100%

Seems like a waste of a good deep regulator.
Poseidons are noted for their delivery at depth, and klunky performance in the shallows. (although the Xtreme's are supposedly much better in shallow water than the Odin's are)

Apeks DS4 - ATX50
Apeks DS4 - TX40
Scubapro MK2 - R380

50% - 300bar DIN Apex DST / AT50
O2 - 300bar DIN Apex DST / ATX50

I like using a swivel 1st stage because you can tuck the hose away nicely when not in use. When you need to use the gas, the hose can be swivelled into a comfortable position. I also use 40" hoses and loop the hose around my neck so the 2nd stage comes from the back like a normal regulator. Of course I carry both stages on my left to do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom