What activities/things to do, should be available when you are NOT Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danvolker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm trying to collect some good feedback on what divers would like for themselves and their non-diving family or friends, when they are NOT diving.

Please think about what you would want on a trip, and post back with things like :
  • Good restaurants
  • eco-torism ( kayaking, etc)
  • shopping
  • types of entertainment
Please be specific, as if this would benefit you on your next trip :)

This is just too easy. I'd probably get banned from SB if I truthfully answered your question so we'll leave it at that.

+1 to activities that if described will get me banned from SB

If it were a non-US location I'd like some type of initiation / review of the local culture and customs with either a tour or some easy-to-follow directory for self guided tours. Also, where available, snorkeling or other water activities so the non-divers will feel involved in the water-vacation experience, especially if it is educational and fun.

Reactions: Jax
Fortunately, I travel with my best friend, whom I also happened to be married to, so I don't need local tour guides to connect me with activities that I could get banned from Scuba Board for mentioning in greater detail.

When my wife and I travel, we enjoy finding local hikes to take, in order to see more of the surrounding area and scenery. We enjoy geocaching, and someone operating a local dive resort could easily place a few geocaches in the nearby area for cachers to find (if there aren't already plenty of caches in the area).

Local performing arts are of interest, especially in areas where the culture is different from what we're used to. Information about other local artists is also worth having handy (painters, sculptors, writers, etc.).

One thing I think would have been cool over in Fiji last year - having a large monitor computer system in the common area, so divers can review and share photos and videos taken that day. Sure, we can show others what we have on our cameras, but those little LCD's on the cameras themselves aren't always the best for see how the shots REALLY turned out.

I enjoy taking a kite or two along, and seeing if I can find a good location to spend some time flying one of my kites. I have a parafoil stunt kite that packs down very compact and lightweight, so it isn't a big deal to bring along.

If you're talking a liveaboard or a remote location that doesn't have much access to outside activities, then I suggest packing some easy to play games such as "Apples to Apples." This game, especially, is great for helping people get to know each other. It's fun, takes almost no time at all to learn, and can be played for as short or long a time as you want. Plus, it doesn't require any other accessories, and even if you lose a few of the cards, it doesn't render the game unplayable.

There are two types of things I would like to see on my fantasy dive vacation. I would like to have activities close to shore so my family can stay nearby and we can meet up right after my dive. Things like restaurants, shopping, snorkeling, maybe an aquatic museum for some learning. Essentially things that are within close walking distance from shore, or right at the shore. The divers and non-divers should be able to easily meet up again after the dive.
Secondly, I would like to see self-guided tourism. While on a surface interval or between diving days, I don't want to go on a wild adventure, crazy boat ride, or anything else that would make my already exhausted body do anything other than recover for the next day of diving. Tour buses taking you to a destination to see the caves, or whatever the landscape has to offer is fine if it's like a shuttle running every so often, but I would not want to be on a bus tour, where I have to go by their schedule. I would also like to have some sort of dinner show, maybe local entertainment and culture.

For a lot of settings, restaurants are a big plus. I haven't minded the resorts like KBR we have stayed at, where all meals were taken at the resort, but even there, it would have been fun to have had some other options. Even in MX, where we rent a condo with a full kitchen, we end up eating many of our dinners out, and a nice evening meal is a lovely end to the day.

A lot of the divers I know are outdoors-type people, and enjoy things which are physically active and involve natural settings -- hiking, sailing, and kayaking. I know Peter and I REALLY enjoyed our afternoon of kayaking in Florida, and would do it again.

Depends on where you go--------ie Little Cayman dive dive dive vs Dominica dive dive then visit the countryside(waterfalls, boiling lakes, gorges, hot sulphur springs--both in the interior or along the ocean, hike in rainforests) up to 20+ hrs a day...

Last edited:
When I was staying at Bequa Lagoon last July In there main office they had a desktop for e-mails and they let me edit my pics on my camera and transfer them to my memory stick, very convenient. I like the idea of a flat screen in the common area for people to share pics of the day. :)

I also had my laptop with me, and was able to look at photos on it. A big screen, though, where lots of people could see it would be nice, especially when someone has captured some really awesome images.

Back
Top Bottom