What are my options to fill my own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bent Benny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I spend most of my time on an island where I don't have access to tank fills. This means I have to carry my tanks back and forth to the mainland to get them filled. So I would like to explore some other options.

I have been looking at compressors and it looks like it would cost me somewhere around $5K for a new compressor or somewhere in the $2K-3K range for a used one that may or may not need work. What other options do I have? I know very little about bank bottles and boosters, but I know they exist. Is there a practical way to rig something up where I could just have a couple large cylinders to get multiple 80cf fills from? I am trying to find the most economical way to do this.

It seems like my other option would be to just buy some more tanks so that I would have a small stockpile of filled tanks, but then I would still have to schlep them back and forth from the island.

I hope I haven't come across as a complete idiot, I just don't know much about this stuff and most of the info I am finding assumes the reader already knows a thing or two about this stuff.

How many tanks do you need to fill (maximum) per day?

Do you want the compressor to be powered by an electric motor or gas or diesel engine?

Will you be installing aboard a boat or will it be land based?

Do you want it to have auto condensate drain and auto stop at final pressure or is manual drain and manual shut off acceptable?

Maximum tanks per day would probably be 2, totaling about 5 a week, sometimes less.

Gas powered would be preferable but I do have a generator if I needed electricity.

It will be land based.

I don't know what an auto condensate drain is, but I don't need any special add-ons. Whatever is the most economical would be priority, with an emphasis on safety.

I don't really have the funds to set this up at the moment as I have some other things in my life I am taking care of right now, but I am trying to educate myself some more on what will be required to do this so that I can keep an eye out for bargains.

Are the cornelius compressors a viable option? At the price point I am seeing them at it seems too good to be true.

find a used walter kidde ~2cfm compressor. Slow, will take you about 3-4 hours to fill both tanks, but they're continuous rated for high pressure and usually about $1k.

Cornelius are good, just usually really low pressure.

I have a K-15 I'll give you, but it's in Texas. It may be more compressor than you want. It won't be cheap to get it. I agree with Tom, above. A Walter Kidde may be the right answer.

I have a K-15 I'll give you, but it's in Texas. It may be more compressor than you want. It won't be cheap to get it. I agree with Tom, above. A Walter Kidde may be the right answer.

*ears perk up*

I really appreciate that. Like I said earlier in the post I don't really have the money right now because I am paying for earthwork and an electrician so I don't have an extra $500-$1000 to get it to Maine. Also I don't really want something that will take up a whole room.

I am truly thankful for the offer though. If you still have it in a few months I may take you up on your offer.

I really appreciate that. Like I said earlier in the post I don't really have the money right now because I am paying for earthwork and an electrician so I don't have an extra $500-$1000 to get it to Maine. Also I don't really want something that will take up a whole room.

I am truly thankful for the offer though. If you still have it in a few months I may take you up on your offer.
No worries. Free is sometimes not convenient. Which is why I have it, and it's in Texas. Guy was going to trash it, I couldn't let that happen.

find a used walter kidde ~2cfm compressor. Slow, will take you about 3-4 hours to fill both tanks, but they're continuous rated for high pressure and usually about $1k.

Cornelius are good, just usually really low pressure.
Ok thanks for the advice. Doesn't the Cornelius fill to 3000psi?

Back
Top Bottom