What are options to attach reel(s) to bottom of backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for different opinions on good options to attaching reel(s) to bottom of backplate so they are out of the way...vs using D ring on waist belt. What hardware are folks using? I know for sidemount there are dedicated accessories. What can be used on a regular back plate setup?

Clip to butt dring or left hip dring.

So my OMS harness has a 1 inch crotch strap. No but D ring. I thought there were special D rings that bolted straight onto the plate but cannot locate them online

Get rid of the 1 inch strap and put a 2 inch on with a D ring. I don't know of any special d rings that bolt to the bottom of a back plate. If they did they would probably be covered by the wing and rendered useless as well as pose a pinch flat hazard for the wing itself.

I've made a bunch of custom hardware for BPW's and know of a few other guys that do as well. No one I know of makes a d ring that bolts to the plate itself.

Ok thanks Jim. Maybe I am recalling incorrectly. Sounds like the best solution. Thanks for the input all.

Vintage Double Hose carries this: Store | Vintage Double Hose

I knew about that but discarded it because it's only 1/2 inch OD. Which is about the size of my little finger. Be awful hard to locate on the rear of a plate on the bottom with gloves. And a 2-inch crotch strap is only 13 bucks with 2 D rings and triglides from Piranha. Plus postage.

I like having "butterfly" butt D-rings on the crotch strap just below the backplate. The dual ring design let's you clip spool and DSMB to separate rings and moves them a bit closer towards your hips for easier access. Best to splash with spool and DSMB on a chest ring (so you don't sit on them), then move them to your butt in the water.

Stack two of these (rings in opposite directions):
Deep Sea Supply Fixed D-Ring

or buy a single piece:
Deep Sea Supply Sidemount Tail Plate

I knew about that but discarded it because it's only 1/2 inch OD. Which is about the size of my little finger. Be awful hard to locate on the rear of a plate on the bottom with gloves. And a 2-inch crotch strap is only 13 bucks with 2 D rings and triglides from Piranha. Plus postage.

Might help if I read the description....

I agree, a 2” crotch strap is the way to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom