What are the best and most unique snorkeling locations in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been to Mexico and that side of the Caribbean and to the Northern Islands including the USVI's and the BVI's and I landed in St.Vincent. No one knows about St.Vincent so it doesn't see the traffic. It's in the middle of the archipelago and below the hurricane belt in the windwards. There are only 100,000 people that live on the island so the overall impact is again a lot less. Reefs here are thriving. The seas are notoriously clear some days over 150 feet. During the hurricane season the storms steer around St.Vincent and pull all the energy away leaving us with seas of glass and visibility that is UN-matched. There are fringing reefs all around the leeward side of the island and I know of at least 20 different amazing spots that are right off shore, no boat ride needed. There are also UN-inhabited islands around that you can reach by boat where things are as they used to be in the Caribbean. Fishing around St.Vincent is old school and the seas haven't been over-fished. There are no tourist trap guide groups feeding fish or trying to sell you cheap t-shirts. The Grenadines have been a stash for the rich and famous for a long time. Like St.Bart's they made it super expensive in order to keep it for themselves. We found the locals side and then introduced comfortable luxury and service at rates that most people can actually afford. St.Vincent hasn't been exposed yet and we've been told by many who have been all over the world that this is still some of the healthiest reefs and seas that they've seen anywhere. The bays here are shallow and easy. I've seen everything here from turtles to sharks to shrimp and lobster to octopus and cuddle-fish. Sea horses in 3' of water and eels of 6 different species. Bottom line is if you want to see stellar amazing reefs in the world you need to get off the beaten path and away from where the big resorts and mass crowds are. If you're on the great barrier reef the farther you go out the better it gets. Same in Belize or Mexico. Same in St.John. Trunk bay sees the most traffic and those who don't know the difference they think it's great. It's actually the worst snorkeling and diving around St.John. Get out by Water-lemon key and you'll see. St.Vincent hasn't been exposed so the cruise ships don't stop here like they do in the better known spots as well. Again sending hoards of UN-educated people out to go torment and destroy the reefs. Many places have become marine sanctuaries around but I still don't see the positives to that if people aren't educated. I've seen people out feeding fish and chasing turtles to try and pet them in marine sanctuaries before. Florida is now starting to impose harsh penalties on the idiots that are always trying to ride the manatees there. Again humans have done and continue to due more damage to the oceans than any other species, get away from humans and you'll find healthy seas. That stands true for every ocean. If you want amazing reefs from shore find the islands no-one talks about or places that seem a little more remote.

Can't speak to St.Vincent, but agree about St. John, we were there for a week and we found Waterlemon, Haulover North (not South!) and Brown Bay to be our favorites. Probably because they are only slight more difficult to get to than the others and require at least a short walk on the road (or for Brown Bay a 30 min hike uphill-ish). In terms of St. Vincent - that sounds great - got any UW pics?

I am not a fan so much of the Curacao snorkeling, I have heard similar reports from other experienced snorkelers. There are much better places to go in the Caribbean. But the beaches and the food there are amazing, and I would definitely give it a shot for diving next time.

Baby Beach Aruba

Come on now, the Robyn Gardner thing?? Lame ...

On the serious side, if you can deal with the mostly pretty rough water conditions outside the lagoon, great spot for Black Durgon, Spiny Lobster, and Green Morays ...

Come on now, the Robyn Gardner thing?? Lame ...

On the serious side, if you can deal with the mostly pretty rough water conditions outside the lagoon, great spot for Black Durgon, Spiny Lobster, and Green Morays ...

for snorkeling? You need to be serious.

Ever been out there??

I wouldn't comment on it if I hadn't. IMHO, That's way beyond the capabilities of most snorkelers.

I wouldn't comment on it if I hadn't. IMHO, That's way beyond the capabilities of most snorkelers.

Sorry, really thought you were messing with me(too much time in the Pub:wink:)

Agree, for just straight-up surface snorkeling, probably a bit too much to handle for the average individual and, unless you're comfortable with diving 20-30', you won't even get to see the 'good stuff' up close ... My wife and I spent hours out there over the years, loved it!!

Sorry, really thought you were messing with me(too much time in the Pub:wink:)

Agree, for just straight-up surface snorkeling, probably a bit too much to handle for the average individual and, unless you're comfortable with diving 20-30', you won't even get to see the 'good stuff' up close ... My wife and I spent hours out there over the years, loved it!!

No need to be sorry. I wish we were discussing it in a Pub rather than here:D.

Agreed, we love it there too.:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom