What are the best wrecks in your home waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Calling all tech and rec divers. If I wanted to spend a season diving NJ/NY waters what would be the best wrecks to hit? Thanks :bounce2:

The wife and I are searching for a side paddle wheel steamer... Can't say anymore than that at this point....:D:eyebrow:

Jim...

If you want an understanding of a good list of "wrecks" this is it... Dive Sites - each one is different - "most" of the wrecks are broken down and good for lobstering and spearing - go further out and the "wrecks" get a little better...

Dive Sites - New Jersey Scuba Diving

The wife and I are searching for a side paddle wheel steamer... Can't say anymore than that at this point....
clip_image001.gif
clip_image002.gif

Jim...
Is this it?

https://www.facebook.com/robertjwalkershipwreck

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCS_Robert_J._Walker_(1844)

Calling all tech and rec divers. If I wanted to spend a season diving NJ/NY waters what would be the best wrecks to hit? Thanks :bounce2:

An excellent choice! We have awesome wrecks and some great dive boats to get you there...

The NJscuba.net site mentioned above is a terrific and exhaustive reference to our area, but it might be difficult to pick a wreck from this extensive list.

Basically, there are NJ boats and Long Island boats, so might be best to look at their schedules and see what fits your needs. Here is a list from our club website.

I tend to go on the John Jack in NJ and the Tempest on Long Island - both great boats with terrific captains and crew. But there are a lot of other good dive boats in our area, I just don't have as much first hand knowledge of them. I also used to dive on the Garloo a lot, but as you may know, her captain (Hank Garvin) passed away recently - a big loss to our community.

As far as specific wrecks, the two biggest in recreational depths are the San Diego (a relatively intact 500 foot long armored cruiser in 110 feet of water, and the only US naval casualty of WWI) and the Oregon (a similar size ocean liner that went down in 1886 in 125 feet of water, more broken up but still yields the occasional artifact). The Resor is a bit smaller but also popular (a WW2 casualty at 125 feet). Deeper wrecks include the Coimbra, the U-869, the Texas Tower, the Carolina and of course the Andrea Doria (not really a NY area wreck).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom