What are the best wrecks in your home waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha!

This is so totally Joisey.

Look, you know the saying: "grudges die hard on the Atlantic". I'm not crossing anybody who owns a dive boat, EVER. He's rubbing our noses in it and I don't even mind. All part of the local game.

:D

We shall see...

Ha!

This is so totally Joisey.

Look, you know the saying: "grudges die hard on the Atlantic". I'm not crossing anybody who owns a dive boat, EVER. He's rubbing our noses in it and I don't even mind. All part of the local game.

:D

We shall see...

LOL

You can post it. I cant even remember what I send but Im sure it was fine. I think the only reason I did it as a PM was to not promote that there is a market and encourage someone to enter it!

Here is the secret to the "Joisey" private dive boat club for anyone trying to get into our super secret club....haha

1) Most of us with boats talk to each other relatively often.
2) There is a lot of weird competition but I mostly stay out of 99% of the drama
3) There are boats that are as capable, or more, than any of the area charters but the captains are not trying to make money so they fly under the radar.
4) Its not that hard to get on - contrary to popular opinion. There are a few ways:
a) find a friend in common with someone who is a regular on the boat and get them to get you on (easiest way)
b) reach out to the captain directly and be patient but persistent. Tell him your comfort zone. Tell them your qualifications. Eventually they all have a spot to fill. Most are just trying ot cover fuel so there is a number that they are targeting to make sure it is affordable for the crew. Dont be a PITA - but send weekly or biweekly reminders. Sooner or later the guy will have a spot.

Once you get on dont be a schmuck. See if the overall " feel" and "culture" of the captain are in line with yours. If so - HELP OUT. Clean the boat. Offer to help with maintenance. Its easy but time consuming on the captain and crew that is actually available to help ALWAYS get the first invite. Show up. Be on time.

In the Winter when the boat gets pulled - spend a few hours helping to clean the boat. In the Spring - HELP GET THE BOAT READY. Lastly - if you have a skill (maintenance, engine, etc) - you have a better shot.

I basically have 3 lists. The first one goes our early in the week. The second email goes out a few hours later and the last one goes out the next day. The emails have our destination or depth and number of people Im looking to bring. Then its first come first serve.

The lists (1,2,and 3) are in order of Who helps the most, who is safe, who is fun, and who is available. The guys that always help with the boat and are almost alyways available not only get the first email - but they are often already confirmed before the email goes out. They usually pick the destination.

Once your on it is hard to get kicked off BUT....if you do get kicked off - it could hurt you on some of the other boats.

We have had guys that were one and done for various reasons and we have guys that we wish could come more. I run with 5-9 divers and I have a SOLID 4 that are there every single week then a few that come when they can.

I could run charters but why....to make a few hundred dollars? Im sure I could fill the boat as often as I want but Why would I. I bought it to have fun. Someday she may be how I make a living but hopefully that day is a long time out. Maybe eventually but for now we are just having fun. I dont think I have ever cancelled or not run a trip from inability to get guys. In fact the biggest problem I have is ot many people reply. The "tryout" guy is usually a last second backfill for someone that had somethign come up. Ive had guys go from the last email to the first in a few weeks.

Considering that we do everything from 45 FSW to 250 FSW - the lists vary greatly since some guys only want to dive deep and others dont want anything to do with it. I like it all so my crew is differrent depending on the depth.

I could run charters but why....to make a few hundred dollars? Im sure I could fill the boat as often as I want but Why would I.

This brings up another general guideline for private boat crews. Don't broadcast it. As Manni said, the captains/owners are looking to cover expenses, not make money. Private boats don't have the same liability insurance needs as commercial charters since they don't take paying passengers. Still, some of the commercial boats have been known to make a fuss about guys splitting the fuel and food costs by saying they are paying for the trip and therefore should be treated just like a commercial charter. So if you're lucky enough to get on a crew, just keep it low key.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom