What are the best wrecks in your home waters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a market for charter boat in NJ waters? Looks like a lot of places to dive and a lot of eager divers but no boats to take them there.
Condensed version of NJ diving:

Wrecks everywhere up and down the coast. The charters run out of northern NJ due to population density, they play to NYC and the surrounding area. They are getting by. Inshore dives in the early season, viz is crap and the water is cold. Once things get nice, the charters tend to move offshore and dive the deeper wrecks.

Cape May is the lowest extreme of NJ. Private party due to low population density. No, a charter berthed in slower Jersey would not be able to fill a boat on a regular basis. Once in a while the Sea Lion (charter) will run out of there. Love that boat...
...//... Lots to see and do under the water in Jersey.
Yes.

Back on topic, the Algol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_career_of_L._Ron_Hubbard Extra interesting if you are into the nutcase, L. Ron Hubbard. It is the only reefed ship that I really like. I prefer real wrecks, but the Algol is a really nice dive that the charters visit.

Condensed version of NJ diving:

Cape May is the lowest extreme of NJ. Private party due to low population density. No, a charter berthed in slower Jersey would not be able to fill a boat on a regular basis. Once in a while the Sea Lion (charter) will run out of there. Love that boat...
Yes.

Disgree. But Ill choose not to debate.

Wow, there must be an interesting secret about the Cape May dive boat charter business! :)

I am lost!

No worries - it could be the SeaLion or Southern NJ Dive Ops not being able to make a living...

Either way - my guess is you wont be diving on either so I would book a trip out of LI (traffic and tolls are a bear) or out of Shark River, Manasquan or LBI Inlets - lots of boats to chose from based on their schedules... Oh and check their specific dive requirements - some are different but most require AOW, redundant air and SMB of some kind and more depending if you are going below 100ft.

No worries - it could be the SeaLion or Southern NJ Dive Ops not being able to make a living...

Either way - my guess is you wont be diving on either so I would book a trip out of LI (traffic and tolls are a bear) or out of Shark River, Manasquan or LBI Inlets - lots of boats to chose from based on their schedules... Oh and check their specific dive requirements - some are different but most require AOW, redundant air and SMB of some kind and more depending if you are going below 100ft.

Also, if you decide to take a break from the wrecks, old Ponquogue Bridge on Long Island is one of the best shore dives in the area. There is also Beach 8th street, which is actually IN New York City, but not as good IMO: https://rothschilddesign.smugmug.com/Underwater/Ponquogue100513/

I sent you a PM.
I got it, sincere thanks. Most enlightening.

I now consider my analysis of the southern situation to be in error.

Maybe give a few more public details for those who are interested or, alternatively, give me your permission to share your PM with those expressing interest (on this thread)?

Back
Top Bottom