What are the chances?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you say it's safe for you then I'll take your word for it. I wasn't there, I don't really know. Just sounded a little on the edge... but I get it.

We broke through the ice last weekend in a quarry to get one in, so I'm not one to judge at all... some would say that's also Russian Roulette, but I know the quarry, I know the underwater landscape, I made sure we could break through if we came up. It was fine, redundant doubles drysuit and all that.

I also lost a fin when getting out once. Thankfully I had a buddy with me that time and he was ok doing a little muck diving to find it. Same damn quarry, lol.
I can imagine that ice diving can be safe enough as long as you know what you're doing. They have the course here, but in lakes, where there are no shells....

I can imagine that ice diving can be safe enough as long as you know what you're doing. They have the course here, but in lakes, where there are no shells....

Rob has no overhead training that I know of. Ice diving untethered? Sheesh. I’m ice and cave trained and I wouldn’t do that. I wonder if they left anyone on the surface to help them get out?

Rob has no overhead training that I know of. Ice diving untethered? Sheesh. I’m ice and cave trained and I wouldn’t do that. I wonder if they left anyone on the surface to help them get out?

Can we call it "sheet" ice diving? Like thin enough to break through if you needed to? I don't think it really counts... no way would I venture into an unknown area with a hard overhead without tether / training / etc.

It was ice, but not that thick. I came up in 3 spots at 3 different times and was able to punch through. It wasn't thick enough to even think about walking on...

And we were in a quarry that I've been in so many times I lost count only 30' from the exit in ~ 20' of water.

Where we used to live (Northern Manitoba) you could be swimming (not many minutes) in the lake one day in Oct., then have that thin sheet of ice you'd not walk on a few days later, then walk on it a few days later again. Another week and the snowmobiles were on it and by late January 18 wheelers. By March, 6 feet of ice.

Where we used to live (Northern Manitoba) you could be swimming (not many minutes) in the lake one day in Oct., then have that thin sheet of ice you'd not walk on a few days later, then walk on it a few days later again. Another week and the snowmobiles were on it and by late January 18 wheelers. By March, 6 feet of ice.
That sounds brutal. MD is not like that, we get a few weeks of cold and that's it. As of this week no ice to be seen.

That sounds brutal. MD is not like that, we get a few weeks of cold and that's it. As of this week no ice to be seen.
The coldest air temp. I saw up there was -54F (-48C) (not including wind chill).

The coldest air temp. I saw up there was -54F (-48C) (not including wind chill).
I lived in Winnipeg for 2 winters (yes, I refer to it as 2 winters, NOT as a year and a half).

I used to joke that Winnipeg had one temp: 35C.
In winter it was -35C and in summer it was +35C and it only took a couple weeks to switch from one to the other in the spring or the fall. On one of the "Springs", my nose was peeling because of sunburn while my ears were still peeling because of frostbite.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom