What are the logistics of going to Coz to dive alone... and does anyone want to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NullNullSem

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Cozumel Forum.

I've been reading this forum for a while looking for as much info as possible to plan an upcoming dive trip. I will be going diving for TWO weeks between the middle of Feb and March of this year. I have only been on a couple of dive vacations (with approximately 30 dives under my belt and my AOW cert). I've always gone to Roatan (for the incredible diving and the exceptional bang-for-buck factor).

When I was diving, I was quite comfortable with it -- but I do know the bounds of my experience. Unfortunately, I haven't been diving since 2009. While I think that I'll have no issues once I get in the water and clear a mask, or two, I'm sure the first dive back will be a bit jittery.

That's my background.

While I could, and still may, just-go-back-to-Roatan, I would like go somewhere new. Cozumel has caught my interest. I stopped there once while on cruise, but that was before I got into diving.

My understanding is that Cozumel has some awesome diving (mostly drift), a plethora of outstanding dive shops, and a diving trip there can be done on the relatively cheap side.

Regarding the cheap... well... it's not that I'm cheap, it's just that I don't need a lot of "frills". I tend to take care of myself.

What I do need is:

* Safe accommodations, with AC and hot water. I don't -really- need that much more. I'm there for the diving, to sip some rum, and enjoy the nitrogen :). I'll go out a bit, but reading in a hammock, or researching critters I saw, is fine with me.

* Accommodations located convenient to dive departure site AND convenient to some place where coffee and "something" can be had in the AM. I'm not much of a morning person, and I don't like having to run around to make arrangements, find a ride, etc.. A 15 minute walk is usually not a big deal, but it is NOT something that I want to do at 6 or 7 AM every morning.

* Small dive groups -- I really don't think that I'd enjoy 10+ person dives as much as 8, or less, person dives.

* Customer oriented DM. None of the macho, I'm a totally cool dive guy types. The best are the ones that truly enjoy sharing their experience with others.

* Rental gear -- I have mask, fins, snorkel, and I could buy a wet suit -- but I'd rather rent equipment.

Thanks to this board, I think I've found a few really good candidates in Cozumel to contact re: diving and accommodations.

Alas, it looks like I'll be doing this trip alone since my former dive buddy was my ex GF. This seems the hardest part. I know at least one dive shop in Roatan where going as a solo diver is REALLY easy. This is partly true because many of the shops have plenty of student divers doing interns to buddy a solo person up with. Of course, you also run into the "I'm so much cooler than you because I'm doing an intern" attitudes as well, but, honestly, I didn't see that very often.

I don't know how it works in Cozumel. Is it feasible to go as a solo diver there? I will ask the places I am interested in diving with about this, of course, but what sort of problems are there that I might be overlooking? What else should I be asking about?

(I did read, here, that someone did Scuba Club in Coz as a solo and had a great time... But, that op seems to do more big boat dives AND that person seemed to be looking for a lot of community stuff. While I don't mind making friends, I could go there, dive, de-the-f-compress from my job and 'real life', check stuff out all by myself -- and have a grand old time.)

Thanks for reading all of that, and for any feedback.

Ive done Cozumel Solo several times and I always do the same routine, I Stay at Suites Bahia wich is right in the middle of town on the water front easy walking to everything, the also include breakfast at a sisiter hotel that is 1 block away and ias a good breakfast, suites bahia is small, clean simple and safe and I dive with Pepe scuba they are located in the coral princess wich is in the north hotel zone but they will pick you up and drop yuou off at the pier that is 1/2 a block away from suites bahia I think the guy that owns that dock will charge a dollor a day to use it, Pepe has fast small boats, and if you are solo No problema theres always somebody on the boat to buddy up with, if you want more info P.m me Ive got lots more info Feb March time frame..sounds tempting I havent been to Coz few months.

Hello Cozumel Forum.

I've been reading this forum for a while looking for as much info as possible to plan an upcoming dive trip. I will be going diving for TWO weeks between the middle of Feb and March of this year. I have only been on a couple of dive vacations (with approximately 30 dives under my belt and my AOW cert). I've always gone to Roatan (for the incredible diving and the exceptional bang-for-buck factor).

When I was diving, I was quite comfortable with it -- but I do know the bounds of my experience. Unfortunately, I haven't been diving since 2009. While I think that I'll have no issues once I get in the water and clear a mask, or two, I'm sure the first dive back will be a bit jittery.

That's my background.

While I could, and still may, just-go-back-to-Roatan, I would like go somewhere new. Cozumel has caught my interest. I stopped there once while on cruise, but that was before I got into diving.

My understanding is that Cozumel has some awesome diving (mostly drift), a plethora of outstanding dive shops, and a diving trip there can be done on the relatively cheap side.

Regarding the cheap... well... it's not that I'm cheap, it's just that I don't need a lot of "frills". I tend to take care of myself.

What I do need is:

* Safe accommodations, with AC and hot water. I don't -really- need that much more. I'm there for the diving, to sip some rum, and enjoy the nitrogen :). I'll go out a bit, but reading in a hammock, or researching critters I saw, is fine with me.

* Accommodations located convenient to dive departure site AND convenient to some place where coffee and "something" can be had in the AM. I'm not much of a morning person, and I don't like having to run around to make arrangements, find a ride, etc.. A 15 minute walk is usually not a big deal, but it is NOT something that I want to do at 6 or 7 AM every morning.

* Small dive groups -- I really don't think that I'd enjoy 10+ person dives as much as 8, or less, person dives.

* Customer oriented DM. None of the macho, I'm a totally cool dive guy types. The best are the ones that truly enjoy sharing their experience with others.

* Rental gear -- I have mask, fins, snorkel, and I could buy a wet suit -- but I'd rather rent equipment.

Thanks to this board, I think I've found a few really good candidates in Cozumel to contact re: diving and accommodations.

Alas, it looks like I'll be doing this trip alone since my former dive buddy was my ex GF. This seems the hardest part. I know at least one dive shop in Roatan where going as a solo diver is REALLY easy. This is partly true because many of the shops have plenty of student divers doing interns to buddy a solo person up with. Of course, you also run into the "I'm so much cooler than you because I'm doing an intern" attitudes as well, but, honestly, I didn't see that very often.

I don't know how it works in Cozumel. Is it feasible to go as a solo diver there? I will ask the places I am interested in diving with about this, of course, but what sort of problems are there that I might be overlooking? What else should I be asking about?

(I did read, here, that someone did Scuba Club in Coz as a solo and had a great time... But, that op seems to do more big boat dives AND that person seemed to be looking for a lot of community stuff. While I don't mind making friends, I could go there, dive, de-the-f-compress from my job and 'real life', check stuff out all by myself -- and have a grand old time.)

Thanks for reading all of that, and for any feedback.

Easy to have a solo good time and good diving in Cozumel. One suggestion if you only need the basics: Costa Brava Hotel is across the street from the ocean. They do NOT have a pool. I stayed there last year for 2 weeks. It is also across the street from the Barracuda Hotel which is the location of one of the dive pick up piers. I found it VERY convenient !
i dive with Dive Paradise ( have for 13 years). Although they do have many BIG boats....they also have several small "fast" boats with only 6-8 divers. I dive on these boats. Leave at 8:00.... Back by 12:30-1:00 ( much to be said for being the first back to the rinse tank) !!
i will also be there Feb 16 - Mar 16. Check under the palapa at the Barracuda Hotel and just ask for Lisa.....hope to see ya there!!
You can email the owner of Costa Brava at cosbrava@prodigy.net.mex.
Her name is Elena.
Also, ask her to quote you a price per night if you pay in cash U.S......they will usually give you a much better rate.

Wow, thanks -- just the sort of info I've been looking for! Wow... so can't wait. It's freakin' snowing now (not that I complain about the weather here... much... since I spent most of my life in the North).

Another question -- it seems that most people in Cozumel do one two tank dive per day. Since I don't have a buddy (yet), or my own equipment (save Snorkel, Mask, flips), I don't think I'lll be doing any shore diving. But -- I'll probably spend my afternoons snorkeling. Is the Costa Brava Hotel close enough to an entry point where there is good snorkeling? Which are the best places to stay with good snorkeling?

Ok... more questions -- is it generally more economical to go with a package dive/accomodation through a dive shop or does it really not make that much difference if you book separately?

Sounds like we should be there at the same time then "Ocean" :). I hope to see you as well.

Solo is no problem. I've been solo in Cozumel for years. If you are odd man then divemaster is your buddy. Many small inexpensive B&bs and local hotels to choose from. I agree Costa Brava is clean, quite, no frills although dated place. I've stayed there several times. You get mini fridge,AC,TV and 100 yard walk to the Mega store (Think of Walmart with grocery store).
Small fast boat ops I like are:

Bottomtimedivers.net
Scuba Tony
Dive with Alison
Living Underwater
Bluextsea

There are many more. I will be there Feb.9-23 with Bottom Time. I have a map somewhere and will update this post with it when I find it.

In all of my trips I've never had a buddy with me. once on the boat we either are assigned a buddy or agree to stick close together etc & I make it a point to keep an eye on most everyone whether it's my buddy or just someone I just met. Dive groups are diverse so I'm always watching for someone who wasn't honest re their skills & if I see that person I stick close to them. As for big groups that's not an issue even if the boat is big. Park rules limit the diver to DM ratio (8:1 max) so the big boats simply drop groups off well spaced apart. As for places to stay lots of choices but from your opening message I suggest in town or to the south so you can be picked up by the boat near by where you stay. Unfortunately you're looking at high season so some places may already be booked, but thanks to the internet you'll find something.
You might find some useful info in my on line album set but I think the hotel tours aren't the style of place you're looking for with maybe the exceptions of Hotel Cozumel & the waterfront areas / partial grounds photos at Casa Del Mar & Fiesta Americana. Blue Angel would be a nice fit but may be a bit over your budget for a basic room.

Picasa Web Albums - Larry

Cozumel, Mexico map with hotel locations
there is the link
Click the south tab for farther south hotels.
Hotel Barracuda has entry for snorkling, but not the best. Barracuda most known for it's NO NAME BAR. Many 20 something hard bodies from cruise ship employees hang there from 10am-3pm.
15-20min walk south of Costa brava and Barracuda are Blue Angel and Villa Blanka hotels. There is pretty good snokeling from VB north to BA. Current usually runs north so enter across from VB and exit at BA.
Some good combo plans with just about all hotels and dive Ops but you don't have to buy the pacadge unless your at Scuba Club Cozumel.
I got a good price at a B&b this trip which is cheaper than any hotel but I have transportation when Im down there.

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 02:41 PM ----------

Forgot to mention if you really are on the cheap. try the Hostelo, Dorm room is like $15 a nite or private room $35.
It is only 3 blocks from everything.
Hostel Cozumel, comfortable, clean, spacious, and well located accommodations.
its on the map

Sweet link loudives -- and thanks for the info.

And for the info, cicopo. I've looked into Blue Angel a bit. My budgetary concerns aren't really based on a limit as much as they are based on me not wanting to pay for things that I don't need. That's hard to figure out when you don't know much about a place -- so thanks again for all of this wonderful insight!

---------- Post added January 17th, 2013 at 03:51 PM ----------

There is pretty good snokeling from VB north to BA. Current usually runs north so enter across from VB and exit at BA.

So, in general, is it true that you do NOT have to be staying at a hotel to use "their" beach entry point into the water?

Although I've read the exact answer to that the law makes something like the first 10 meters back from the high tide waterline of all waterfront property public. That means that you can enter at most places you can get to but it doesn't mean you have free access to walk through a resort to get to the beach, or to use some privately owned piers. Many places have area for the locals to get to the beach area, & years ago I know that the Presidente even had signs directing people to the path around the hotel that led to the beach. Most places won't give you a rough time whether entering or exiting BUT you can't use their beach chairs or palapas etc.

Back
Top Bottom