What are the logistics of going to Coz to dive alone... and does anyone want to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NullNull....sent you PM with more info. Let me know if you have more questions.:wink:

Cant' seem to say thanks enough. I went from -- "yeah, just HAVE to make a trip... NOW.. OK... not going back to Roatan... so... oh gee... where...?" prior to registering... to being COMPLETELY YAHOO about this trip :). In facdt, I was "this" close to hitting the confirm button on my airline tickets (I'm assuming it will be ok to book the dates prior to other travel arrangements... but we all know what happens to "U" and "Me" when we Ass U Me... anyhoo).... but the internet... and then the power.. went out in S. Knox right then. See... we got ourselves a big old storm here. Snow will be melted off by tomorrow :wink:.

If you want to roll out of your bed and onto the dive boat, then The Blue Angel is the place to be. The rooms are basic and very clean....all rooms have a balcony and face the water (except the first floor....you have a patio). They have a swimming pool and access to shore diving/snorkeling. When we've been there, there've been divers who have been solo. You'll find at the BA, you kind of become a family and take the solo divers into the fold (if they want to be taken into the fold :)). The restaurant is fabulous and very reasonably priced. You have free WiFi in your room. The dive shop is excellent, the boats are small, the DMs are great, and yes, there's even hammocks to rest on in the front yard! There are only 24 (?) rooms on the property so you aren't in a big resort. We walk into town every day and it only takes about 20 - 30 minutes. Two big supermarkets are about a 15 minute walk from the BA. I can't say enough good things about The Blue Angel. Try it....you'll LOVE it!

Much as I am a proponent for staying in town, I must admit that Blue Angel came to my mind as a great place for you. It might be a bit more dough than you are prepared to part with however.

I dove solo in Coz for 5 weeks this last fall...no problem at all. I stayed at El Cid and dove with Tres Pelicanos. Worked out fantastically and with timeshare points it is extremely economical. I would be happy to book you into the El Cid with my timeshare points at a great value to you if you are interested. Either way, Tres Pelicanos is a GREAT dive op. Great boat, an even greater DM (Servando), great value, and if you are diving with them for an extended period of time you might ask them for a two week package of dives at an even better price than their usual.

I've done Cozumel solo many times in the past - everything from long weekends when I found a dirt cheap flight (a lot rarer lately) to a week or even 10 days. My usual routine back then was to just fly down without any reservations, and check out my favorite cheap hotels downtown. I never had a problem finding a bed, but then I wasn't looking for fancy accomodations. I would then dive with Aldora, small boats, everyone dives computers, and HP Steel tanks - either a Steel 100 or even a Steel 120 (my option, but I'm fairly large; if you are smaller than 6' or skinny, it can be pretty heavy), so lots of bottom time. Aldora does cost more than other dive operators, but considering the service and extra bottom time, I always thought it was well worth it. If you are looking to save money, you can find cheap accomodations, and you can eat very well at a very reasonable cost at the locally- owned places. A great meal at Sabores, a loncheria (only open for lunch) will cost you 70 pesos (about $5.50) plus tip. Lots of local options back in town where you can eat cheap and well.

It's (Blue Angel) a near perfect fit including the dive shop based on the original post but besides price for a solo guest it's high season & they might already be booked up. As for the restaurant it's hard to beat for price to quality & quantity, but they don't have the selection some places do. There's a very strong possibility my wife & I will be eating there on Valentines Day along with the same friends we took there last Valentines Day.

Been there solo several times. Scuba Club works great, you can be as social or as private as you want, the boats are big but they divide the divers into groups and drop off separately so it's not like the cattle boats, the shore dive is fun, and the food is pretty good. Blue Angel has a loyal following and sounds great (never been there) they also have a pretty good shore dive/snorkel. I prefer to stay at cheap hotels downtown, and dive with an op that picks up at the downtown pier. I love diving with Blue XTSea, but there are several others that pick up at the downtown (Aldora) pier that I am sure are also good. It's pretty easy to make new friends on a small boat, and buddying up is not a problem. I've had good stays at Suites Bahia and the last few trips Hotel Plaza Cozumel at very reasonable prices, and there are many more. Getting to snorkeling places is a cab ride, but not too expensive. I usually book air/hotel through Orbitz, they usually have a discount code for $100 off, sometimes more, that makes it pretty reasonable. Have a great trip!

Personally, I'd say solo is the best way to do Coz.

Nullnullsem - I am going to Coz for the first time and going solo, Mar 2-9. I'm staying at the Suites Bahia...fairly cheap, free WiFi, in town, and close to the dive op I've chosen, Aldora. I've also heard it is pretty clean. I'm not planning on renting a car cuz I hear everything is very close to where I'm staying.

As far as diving I'm fine just buddying up with the DM...it probably makes sense cuz I'm new to drift diving anyway.

Have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom