What are these spots and how to get rid of them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's peculiar that there are two spots equally spaced on either side of the image. Are you sure there isn't some protective plastic still covering the lens or port? Since the spots are equally spaced and of equal size, I doubt it is something random like air bubbles. Try checking the lens & port for protective plastic and/or use lens cleaner and lint free cloth. You should probably check with the manufacturer if this problem persists. Check the manufacturer forums on Scuba Board too.

No because later in the dive they went away

It's peculiar that there are two spots equally spaced on either side of the image.
If you look closely, they're not precisely in the same/opposite locations. They're slightly offset. I'd disregard that as coincidence.

If you look closely, they're not precisely in the same/opposite locations. They're slightly offset. I'd disregard that as coincidence.

What I meant was that they are equally spaced from the edge of the lens and they are the same size. I find it hard to believe that random air bubbles would appear this way. You also don't see any light refraction in them like the other video. It would seem to have something to do with a smudge on the lens that was "stamped" there from a source with a regular shape. Does your lens cap have any features inside that could do this? Did the spots really go away, or did the lighting change where you were shooting thereby making them not noticeable?

What I meant was that they are equally spaced from the edge of the lens and they are the same size.
Yes, and I said that they're not :tongue:
The one on the right is slightly closer to the edge than the left one. It's also slightly lower.

The one on the right is slightly closer to the edge than the left one. It's also slightly lower.

This isn't the first time using the GoPro or filter. It is however the first time getting the spots.

Watch the bubbles appear on the filter and then disappear This went away when I started soaking in Gain solution after dives

[video=youtube_share;jL7IxbxGK5I]http://youtu.be/jL7IxbxGK5I[/video]

no more than 5 min longer into the dive

[video=youtube_share;gr0SiyreA9c]http://youtu.be/gr0SiyreA9c[/video]

I know what you said. You didn't address the issue that they were the same size. Are we going to get into a pissing contest or help the guy with his question?

I know what you said. You didn't address the issue that they were the same size. Are we going to get into a pissing contest or help the guy with his question?
He's been helped already. They're just bubbles. They're almost identical in size because bubbles either larger or smaller than that wouldn't stick to the surface. Or at least they seem almost identical in size - it's hard to tell since they're out of focus, and it's the blur that makes them appear a certain size. There's no need to search for an alternative explanation. Next time you're in the water, hold your camera (or your hand or whatever else) in some other diver's reg exhaust and see what happens.

He's been helped already. They're just bubbles. They're almost identical in size because bubbles either larger or smaller than that wouldn't stick to the surface. Or at least they seem almost identical in size - it's hard to tell since they're out of focus, and it's the blur that makes them appear a certain size. There's no need to search for an alternative explanation. Next time you're in the water, hold your camera (or your hand or whatever else) in some other diver's reg exhaust and see what happens.

Believe the issue is bubbles or spots arising de novo probably forming around a small bit of oil or protein or dust on the filter, there's gas (air) dissolved in the water that can make a bubble most anytime.

Back
Top Bottom