What Are These?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Anyone have an Idea of what the name of these fish are. Found in Lake Travis Austin, Texas around Rio Grande Perch and Sunfish.

I was going to say Green Sunfish, but the stripes are throwing things off.

Hmmm...

Jay_SMART_Diver:
They look very much like the Rio Grande Perch in shape and with the spots but the white face is throwing me off

Hmm... the face doesn't seem to be shaped quite right for a RGP/Texas Cichlid. They seem to have a more "sunfishy" type of face to me.

Correct on the call. They are indeed Rio Grande Perch. They probably are exhibiting some sexual dimorphism. The males get some big heads on 'em.

That may be a behavior-induced colour pattern. Breeding or fighting. I don't see any visible sexual dimorphism on either fish, and they're both too small to see the size-related head humps characteristic on many cichlids. Texas cichlids display a great deal of variation in coloration, and frequently don't match up well with a book picture or photo.

It's the Ria Grande Perch in their mating colors. Very beautiful. After mating they return to their 'normal' colors.

Dee:
It's the Ria Grande Perch in their mating colors. Very beautiful. After mating they return to their 'normal' colors.
Hey Dee, could you elaborate? I don't know squat about how this species breeds. Is there a book I can pick up?

Back
Top Bottom