What are your salaries as a DM or OWSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not worked in the dive industry actively since I sold my business in the mid 90's in Hawaii.
I made enough not to ever have to really work again unless I feel like it.
This is exceedingly rare in the dive biz though. Good luck - it's out there.

In twenty-four months in Cancun, as a working Divemaster/Captain with my own boat and rental equipment, I made $130,000. I speak English, Spanish, French, and German and have a complete working knowledge of the local diving area. I worked five days a week, forty weeks each year. My expenses and taxes were half of what I earned.

It's a lifestyle...

get on a liveaboard in oz, they ll pay $500 a week plus extra commisions if you work your butt off, you can do $2500 a month there and of course no living expenses.
here in mexico the salary they pay is awful, $600 p/m as a dm for 3 tanks a day, we have to live from tips, as an inst you can make really good commision from sales but you ll end up being a pool instructor, thats how its works in cancun.
start at the bottom, prove yourself and you could be on a managers salary + commisions + tips, thats when your doing a good $3k.
if the cavern scene is your thing the inst fee is $25 per diver, you could make an easy $200 a day if you work hard.
keep at it, the lifestyle is priceless!

I make six figures as a dm... when you add in the cents!

But really if you have to ask, you should probably look into something else. But if you really want to, you'll find a way. i.e. I do freelance video work for tv, also I do graphic design and web design work. I work as a dm six full days a week, so doing other projects during off time takes considerable dedication.

And yeah; it's worth it!

I know the DM's up here get free air and a pat on the back. The instructors actually take home about $10/student for a refresher (usually done one student or two at a time) or $50/student for an OW cert (taking into account that is normally a 5 week X 2 nights/week + checkout dives).

You aren't going to get rich being an instructor...and you're going to get even less so being a DM...lol.

Cheers,
Austin

Hey I was pumped when I made $20.00 (tip from Instructor) helping out for 2 days of pool dives awhile back :)
I won't be quitting my day job just yet!

So. Calif. DM's get free boat rides and air ($90 to $120 savings) to lead dives. That's prety cool since shore dives suck 75% to 80% of the time here.

Instructors make what they can sell themself for. It's a business, you have to advertise and charge a competitive fee to get students, unless you land a gig at a college, vocational program or a facility that uses SCUBA divers like the Long BEach Aquarium. There is one paid person at the aquarium to support the hundred or so volunteer rock scrubbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom