What BC for under $300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto:

Anyone here diving this brand? I looked at he web site and their products are very reasonable. Backplate BC with wing, pockets and harness for $250... AFFORDABLE!!! From the pics, it looks like it is NOT a tech rig since it seems to have some shoulder quick connects (failure points), etc, but I guess you could get one and replace the harness. Anyone have any opinions oin the construction of the wing? Is it a "traditional" construction for DIR? The tank straps may need to be replaced for DIR as they are the plastic/rubber ones. Heck, I guess to get started it's really not bad. Just upgrade as needed. Comes with SS backplate which costs about $150 from OMS or DiveRite. The wing alone would also cost about $150-$200 from OMS, etc. The only thing is whether it IS a quality wing.

They also have a back inflated BCD for $200... Not bad.

BigWhiteSquare:

I have a Genesis Tropic. Great warm water back-inflate BC for Aruba but, I'd look harder at using it with a 7MM wetsuit. Max integrated weight is 20 lbs. ditchable and 10 lbs. non-ditchable. 42 lbs. of lift on the bladder. Just have to be careful you don't push the envelope in a cold water configuration. I use a Seaquest Pro QD for cold water with a 7MM F/J.

I paid $255 at an LDS last year for the Tropic.

ScubaGT:
Thanks for the info I don't know any thing about triple L how is their service network? Did you dive the tropic Big W.S...

The Tropic? No. I've had a couple of Sherwood back-inflate BCs though, including a used (and very similar) Sherwood Freedom I picked up recently on Ebay for $100. Sherwood and Genesis are owned by the same company, and their products are nearly identical. They make good products, not always the *fanciest*, but usually durable and priced right.

Triple L ? I'd be careful with that.

My wife has the Orion from Triple L. I can attest to the fact that they are very well made and the price is very nice. The only problems I've seen with the Orion is that in the medium size there are no additional pockets other than the one front one located on the cumberbund. This is true only for the medium size. Larger sizes have additional pockets. Also, this is a back inflate BCD and like others of this type they tend to push you forward on the surface. The Orion has no weight pockets at the lower rear of the BCD which can help with this situation. The problem can be minimized by carrying the smallest amount of weight you can. My wife still complains about this issue even though she's reduced her lead inventory about as far as she can.

Lastly, the attachment of the wings is done by threading a strap through the backplate and then using a buckle to attach it to one side of the wing (the other side is stiched directly to the wing). This resulted in one side riding high in the water because the buckle prevented it from cinching up tight to the point it enters the backplate. We solved this by bringing the strap out of the backplate at an "earlier" slit and using cable ties to connect the strap to the one that goes around the tank. This solved the problem. I know this is not clear with looking at the BCD but perhaps it might help someone else who had this problem.

All in all I think the Orion is a good BCD as are the other products sold by Triple L from what I've heard.

Sirto:
The Orion has no weight pockets at the lower rear of the BCD which can help with this situation. The problem can be minimized by carrying the smallest amount of weight you can. My wife still complains about this issue even though she's reduced her lead inventory about as far as she can.
If it has no built in trim pockets, she might try threading a weight directly onto the tank strap, or getting a small weight pocket that can go on the strap.

Leisure pro has the "last year's" model of Sherwood Avid for under $300. These are made from heavy-duty materials. I like my Sherwood BC. Also... many divers using this site like Scuba Toys and get an additional 10% off. They have an "orange" bc that appears to be full featured and heavy duty. It's a "police and rescue model". They can give details on the phone.

I like the ideas of two tank straps on a BC, and both of these have that feature. Check these out, and you may not have to trade up later.

It may be tempting to buy the low-priced Aeris BC. Don't be tempted. I had one and sold it. It was less than satisfactory in terms of balance, and holding my LP95 tank.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145885&highlight=maximus contains a discussion on the Maximus from ScubaL (TripleL) especially post #22.

If you are looking for a temporary/starter BC (Jacket, Backinflate or BP/Wing) ScubaL is a great place to start looking, not that they don't make good quality products, but because the price makes it easier to live with if you find you don't like what you went with.

Just my .02 cents

Aloha, Tim

i just bought a mares orgin 1000 from joe diver,lp has them to,its a heavy duty no frills bc,very well made,only had 1 tank strap but had slots for a second one,robbed off my old one,has 3 dumps no weight int. for less than 150 dollars

There are reasons to consider BC's with integrated weight pockets. As a boat diver, I found using the old weight belt was easy. Then I moved to Florida. We have beach and spring diving where you must walk a fair distance with your gear on. Those integrated pockets are easier than carrying a weight belt, and having the belt riding on your hip bones while walking can get painful.

Maybe this info will help you. Let us know what you pick out. Happy diving!

Thank Ye all fer givin such fine pieces of information. Such words are like a treasure chest brimin with spanish gold. Ye are like pearls in the sea and are more friends than this old scallywag deserves.
Happy Pirates day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom