What Color Is Your Stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1667788068795.jpeg

'Started with the Waterproof H1 HOOD 5/10 MM HIGH VISIBILITY POLAR EVOLUTED, so that my head, was Not just a black dot above water.
1667788445956.png

I've heard of instructor orange gear. I'm wondering for some colors how effective it is as you go down in depth as the spectrum disappears.
Presumably, people would have lights at depth. At least in my area, by the time you lose color

Whoa, I just thought of something! Several of the houses in my neighborhood now have permanent Christmas lights installed, only they can be whatever color they want, and they can do patterns. So, flashing red white and blue on Independence Day, a few white lights for security lighting, pink chasers for Valentine's Day, or whatever. THAT'S WHAT YOU NEED! The underwater equivalent. It'll require invention for the actual equipment, but you can work on it, and pay me for the idea once you start marketing it!
I've heard people say this many times, but in my opinion it doesn't matter. By the time you're at depths where you can't tell the difference between green or orange, many divers have flashlights, your eyes adapt, and/or it doesn't matter what color you chose since all colors look similar. Regardless, the fact that one would have some brighter-colored distinct gear (fins, harness, etc) alone might help significantly with quick identification.

I've heard a similar argument in regards to my bright-neon hose/regulator, that I tell any dive-buddy to grab in an out-of-air situation. Ok, maybe they can't tell if it's yellow or green, but they can certainly tell it's not the black-hose.

Whoa, I just thought of something else! Use gear that shows up under black lights, and then give your buddies black lights to piggyback onto their dive lights!

Whoa, I just thought of something else! Use gear that shows up under black lights, and then give your buddies black lights to piggyback onto their dive lights!
See the 2nd and 3rd reply to this thread:

SOLAS material is EXTREMLEY BRIGHT, if your flashlight and eyes are at a similar angle. So, if anyone does have any flashlight, this material absolutely GLOWS.

There are also colored-versions of the same material, although they have a lower "transmission" rating, so I mostly decided to stick to white.

Fins and wing or bcd are the easiest for color choice. I like blue so most of my colored items involve blue. Blue camo wing and blue drysuit for example. For fins, I use orange eddys or white jets which pop really well in bad visibility. You can customize basically any and all webbing or bungee for cheap… I use a blue and orange argyle pattern on my fin straps.

All shades of black. I recently started to use "yellow" fins to make it easier for my students to see me U/W. I have a couple of wings that are red also but this is only coincidental. I found that the fins are the best tools for others to find/see me underwater, better than other pieces of equipment.

(Pictures below are from the Scubapro website, they aren't mine)

1667810655628.png

1667810693115.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom