What constitutes an emergency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I agree with what you're saying. If I understand correctly, you're saying that if a misfortune is well planned for, then it doesn't fall within your definition of the word "emergency." Cave divers are wise to avoid using the word because it does no good--it can only contribute to panic if the word is stuck in someone's head.

Correct. When cave diving, I prefer dives that are beautiful but boring. Boring used mainly because it makes the phrase come off easier and is the opposite of exciting.
A month or two ago I was on a dive where I had a lost line in zero viz *only started with about 10ft until my buddy silted it out*, followed almost immediately with a DPV that had a failure and locked on high speed with a fixed pitch propeller. All three of those things can very quickly result in an emergency, but the exit was just REALLY exciting. I don't like those kind of dives because the butt pucker moment from the lost line in 0 viz, then the butt pucker moment of going 200fpm in 10ft viz through REALLY silty cave, then the restriction at the entrance of the cave, then the deco obligation with a scooter trying to kill you all add up to some not fun things. You train for those scenarios and as long as you keep your cool there is nothing to get anything more than excited about. It causes you to focus more and try to slow down as much as humanly possible to not overreact, but that's why you train.
The dive after was "boring", it went exactly as planned and that's the way I like it, but having an "exciting" dive every once in a while keeps you on your toes.

My friend Carol posted this on the NFSA facebook page and I think it's warranted to discuss here

"What constitutes an emergency? Theoretically in cave diving we should have no "emergencies" because we have - by accident analysis - supposedly thought through every possible adverse event and have a contingency action to account for it and survive. So if something "happens" and we take corrective action are we having an "emergency" or are we just terminating our dive earlier than planned using an alternative procedure?. If one of the engines on my two engine airplane quits am I having an emergency or just landing earlier than planned - as it flies perfectly well on one engine (The FAA says it's an "emergency" but they have a legal definition formed in an office). Common sense and good practice would suggest that we hold ourselves (or our team) wholly responsible for the assets and training needed to complete our dive either under nominal or "contingency" situations. Does relying on someone elses interpretation and indication of the cave topology ("way out") meet this requirement? I do not have a good solid 100% answer to either question, but I do have a good, solid 100% answer to how I am going to conduct a given cave dive and what I am going to do in any given scenario that I encounter or can reasonably think of based upon my training and experience. When am I having an emergency? If I am how much do I rely on others to help me survive? Is a silt out an "emergency"? I have after all been trained how to deal with zero visibility conditions. In case you had not realised by now this post refers to the "Lamar Peacock Cookie Controversy" and is intended to further thoughtful and insightful discussion - I am not offering a solid opinion or solution as I do not have one yet. In life some people are catalysts for change, some are not. Sometimes change is difficult, sometimes it is wrong, sometimes it is not. The only way we can find out is to explore and discuss, sometimes starting the discussion is difficult, and painful, and clumsy. Remembering that the final best solution or change will probably take compromise - a seemingly ancient and forgotten art in some aspects these days. When commenting to this post please consider if you have something to add or are simply being sarcastic, attempting humor or criticizing without suggestion."

It's all about the diver's perspective, IMO. Does the diver think he or she is having an emergency. Taking the above example of a broken mask strap. For some, no big deal, end the dive, or stick the mask back on your face. For others, they're panicking, believing they are suffering an emergency.

As long as you've got enough gas to surface, know the way to the surface, and you're not in the jaws of a predator, there should be a contingency, mitigating the thought, I'm having an emergency.

For some, no big deal, end the dive, or stick the mask back on your face.
It just occurred to me that there is an exercise that might be added to OW training.

Divers should gently slide their mask straps up to the top of their heads so that the straps are no longer doing their jobs. If they are demonstrating proper control of their breathing, the mask should stay on, perhaps subject to an occasional push to squeeze out a little air from time to time. This should teach proper breathing control, and it should also teach them that losing a mask strap is no big deal.

I was once setting up a diving platform for a class, far away from shore. I managed to break my mask strap (don't ask--it's embarrassing) on the surface before starting the setup process. My backup mask was on shore. I did the entire setup dive, more than 20 minutes, without a mask strap. It's no big deal--anyone should be able to do it.

It just occurred to me that there is an exercise that might be added to OW training.

Divers should gently slide their mask straps up to the top of their heads so that the straps are no longer doing their jobs. If they are demonstrating proper control of their breathing, the mask should stay on, perhaps subject to an occasional push to squeeze out a little air from time to time. This should teach proper breathing control, and it should also teach them that losing a mask strap is no big deal.

I was once setting up a diving platform for a class, far away from shore. I managed to break my mask strap (don't ask--it's embarrassing) on the surface before starting the setup process. My backup mask was on shore. I did the entire setup dive, more than 20 minutes, without a mask strap. It's no big deal--anyone should be able to do it.

I had that exact thing happen on my last cave dive. We were exiting from about 1200' of penetration and I kept getting a bit of water in my mask. I would hold the top and do a quick puff of air to clear it and it would be good for about 100'. It took about 400' before I realized my neoprene mask strap was floating above my head. Slipped it back down and had no further leaking issues.

Depends on each person's definition. Like the thread on "When are you no longer a beginner"?

My pool mask strap broke playing with the kids this summer. I didn't even bother replacing it because a good push creating a squeeze was all that was needed. A diver just needs to remember not to exhale through the nose and it should get them by.

I think it would be a great skill to add to OW. I know when I first got certified I was concerned about the broken mask strap issue, of course now I don't worry about it. Adding that skill would relieve many new divers of that concern.

The only thing i would consider an "emergency" is if someone has nothing to breathe. I cant think of another situation underwater that requires immediate action. So long as everyone is breathing, you have time to fix a problem.

The only thing i would consider an "emergency" is if someone has nothing to breathe. I cant think of another situation underwater that requires immediate action. So long as everyone is breathing, you have time to fix a problem.

I'll give you two...

Lost in a cave or wreck I think warrants immediate emergency action. You have something to breath now, but you won't if you can't find the exit. Second, being bit by an animal would also be an emergency requiring immediate action. Like that Brothers Island OWT incident the other day.

Edit to add: Any serious medical incident would also become an emergency.

While we discuss actions in caves, let's remember that this thread is in the Baic Scuba forum. One of the Scubaboard guidelines is that threads in the Basic Scuba Forum should be about basic scuba.

I'll give you two...

Lost in a cave or wreck I think warrants immediate emergency action. You have something to breath now, but you won't if you can't find the exit. Second, being bit by an animal would also be an emergency requiring immediate action. Like that Brothers Island OWT incident the other day.

Both those scenario's you're still going to stop and think, look for a reference and clues as to where the line/exit. If gas causes these situations to turn into an emergency, it's because you failed to plan your gas properly.

Rushing in those situations is just gonna make thinks worse... Out of gas however, requires immediate response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom