What defines a "cave"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I dive Morrison springs alot, in Ponce De leon Florida, and if any1 has been there you know of the cavern that starts at like 65ft and has a max depth of around 90ft depending on the river.

Well is that considered a cave dive and I shouldn't go since I'm not cave certified. I would say the possibility to get lost is almost zero as the cave is about 20ft wide and long and you can always see the opening which is clearly lit.

Let me know what you think?

From Dive-aholic's signature:

If you think it's okay to dive in a cavern or cave without the appropriate training, watch the videos on this web page: Diving the Freshwater Springs. If you still think it's okay, please make sure to donate money to the IUCRR...

I suggest taking a good cavern class, you'll learn a lot about the different rules and guidelines of cave/ cavern diving. More importantly, you'll come out as a better diver with more knowledge.

Even the most benign looking caverns and caves can kill. Better to be safe than sorry :)

You need to get the appropriate training. While it may seem like a benign environment, it's not. It's an overhead and deserves respect. The cavern is also larger 20'x20'. Let me know when you're there next and if I can I'll meet you there for a dive. And I'll show you just how dangerous it can be.

Taking a cavern class will help you understand the differences between cave diving, cavern diving and open water diving. It will also be the best training that you have had to date. Even if you have no intentions of becoming a cave diver, the skills that will be developed during a cavern diving course will do you a world of good in open water diving.

You need to get the appropriate training. While it may seem like a benign environment, it's not. It's an overhead and deserves respect. The cavern is also larger 20'x20'. Let me know when you're there next and if I can I'll meet you there for a dive. And I'll show you just how dangerous it can be.

Do you consider rock on 3 sides (overhead, and to your left and right) a cavern, even if it's only around 20' in length (from entry point to exit point)?

Just curious on your definition for my own knowledge.

The upper cavern is about 20' wide. The lower portion is indeed cave and it has a max depth in the 90' range and is pretty huge as far as single rooms go. If the sun goes down, clouds up bad, etc, you can easily lose sight of the entrance. What you described is a mix of both overheads......................It sounds like you want someone to approve of what you have done. A cave cert has to go with the proper mindset. Without both your luck may run out one day.

I went in many similar places before I had cave training, particularly sea caves. It's more risky to be in a place with any overhead but if I had no chance of entanglement, getting stuck in a restriction or losing the entrance or so on I would not consider it particularly risky to swim 6m into a cave. I am not familiar with the place in question so cannot comment specifically on what you are planning though.

The GUE Cave manual defines a cave:

"...the region within any over head environment that: 1) is not illuminated by natural sunlight, 2) is more than 130 linear feet from the water surface, 3) is more than 70 feet deep, 4) will require decompression after exiting, 5) must be accessed by passing through a restriction that will not permit two divers to pass through side-by-side, OR 6) contains water with less than 40 feet of visibility." Any overhead environment with any of these criteria should be considered a cave, whether a wreck, cavern, quarry, or mineshaft.

Best,
-Graham

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom