What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regrets - my wind whistle... i SHOULD have bought myself a storm whistle!

i bought hubby a orange Storm Whistle and its great - but i wanted it in yellow so from the same company i bought a different type called the Wind Whistle in yellow. by the looks of it, its been manufactured differently and i broke it on dive 3

so now ive bought an orange storm whistle just like hubbys

An AL LPO is a useless pos in cold water. I say POS because it breaths like a terd in cold water.

I thought I had posted to this thread ages ago but guess not.

I've upgraded some dive gear but only really regret buying things that have never been used I found out quickly just weren't required or the right tool such as:

My collection of high volume masks.
A couple of impressive looking knives that now live in the spares tub. The first time the knife on my leg required me to use the shears on my waist strap that was the end of taking a dive knife.
BC with integrated inflator/octo thingy. Abandoned that after a couple of dives.
Wrist slate.
New 80cuft alloy tanks that I took back to Oz when I moved home from the UK. No burst disc, no test pass and I couldn't find replacement valves. Blessing in disguise that one as I then changed to steel.
Sealife ReefMaster film camera and strobe. Never got to terms with it. Love my Fuji E900 + Ikelite housing.
Sunnto Mosquito dive computers. One for my wife and one for me. Identical failure (refused to enter dive mode) after about 18 months.

I much prefer my BP/W but don't regret my jacket BC that I bought during my OW course. It was the cheapest, lightest, simplest they had in the store and it's still in good working order ten years later. Perfect for travel. Still using the wetsuit, fins and regs I bought then, too.

Wish I was home so I could go through my tubs of useless gear...

DIN 300 valve and reg (Mares Abyss) - only setup I've ever used that blew out past the o-ring, with regularity. Go yoke.

Aluminum tanks - go steel for longevity and peace of mind (idiosyncratic opinion on this last part, not statistical)

Forespar emergency strobe

Lots and lots of Nikonos photo equipment - OK, I should say keeping it was the regret

Anything velcro

Any non-rubber weight belt

Soft dive weights

Too-big wetsuit; skin-in wetsuit

Octopus; mouthpiece capture holder for octo

Non-titanium dive knife

Boots that don't have quality soles and non-skid; slip-on boots

Gloves without kevlar

Alkaline batteries except as backups

Console mounted computer, except for backup

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back